Chapter Nine

A/N So I'm going to momentarily stop posting music with each chapter until I figure out exactly how I want to use media with this book. If you guys have any input, be sure to let me know!

TW: Mentions of sexual abuse

Diana Barry lived at the other end of the street that the Green Gabled house was on, so it was entirely unsurprising that the raven-haired imp would have found herself walking past the Cuthbert residence. The wicker basket on her arm with the abundance of cookies of all kinds was not, however, of her usual décor, and this could only be explained by Mrs. Rachel Lynde by the fact that Diana must be visiting the Cuthberts to meet that new Anne child.

Truthfully, this was concerning for Mrs. Lynde. Diana had the—what might you call it?—the makings of a good girl. She had a sweet smile, but there was something deep inside that girl that held the devil. If the Barry's took proper care, mind you, she would turn out to be a fine young woman, no doubt about it. But if she was to associate with incorrigible oceans who threw rocks at fine young men, well, they could toss that dream down the drain, that's what.

Mrs. Lynde knew she was being finicky that day, but she couldn't help it. Samantha had snubbed her right in front of Mrs. Blythe, and that wasn't what friends do, and that's what you may tie to.

Unfortunately for Mrs. Lynde, Samantha had not given a second thought to Mrs. Lynde's well being. In fact, Mrs. Lynde herself had not crossed Samantha's mind once. She was too busy trying to prove to Anne that she was, in fact, Anne of Green Gables.

"Anne, do you like eggs? I just never really asked you, and I feel bad, but do you like them?"

Anne nodded her head dumbly, somewhat overwhelmed by the entire situation. And, if she were to admit it, terribly frightened. The only time anyone had ever done anything nice for her was after a man forced eleven year old Anne to perform oral sex on him. She almost vomited, but the O'Keafe's gave her an award for "good behavior." Rewards had never meant anything to Anne except that she was about to have to perform something very gruesome, or face the consequences. "Eggs are fine," she said crisply, sitting awkwardly at the table as Samantha took out the eggs from the fridge. "How do you like them, dear?"

"Scrambled."

There was a knock on the door, and Anne's immediate reaction was to shrink away from the sound. Deep breaths, Anne Shirley. In and out, in and out. This was not the O'Keafe's. The person at the door was not a pedophile, or somehow who so desperately needed control that he was willing to extort children for it.

But chanting these things in her head only made it worse, so with her mind still going back to the pledge she had made herself, that she would throw herself in the ocean before she would allow herself to be used again, she opened the door, only to find the raven haired girl that she had seen in that store before. "Anne?"

"Yeah," she replied shortly, blinking quickly and attempting to discern exactly what it was that was going on.

"Oh, Diana!" Samantha said from the kitchen. "Come in. I'm glad you're here."

"Of course, Mrs. Cuthbert," Diana said, offering Anne her wicker basket. "I made you cookies."

"Oh." Cookies were saved for penetration. Oh, God...she wanted to throw up, but instead she shakily took the basket. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," Diana replied, kicking off her shoes hanging up her coat on the coat rack. "So, Anne Shirley. That has a nice ring to it."