Part One - Chapter Thirty-Three: Alexa's Worry

Alexa put down her phone as José’s words rang in her ears, she couldn’t believe what he had just told her and she closed her green eyes as she took a deep breath.

Daniella looked at her friend concerned, she didn’t know what had been said but it was clearly bad news; the two friends were having lunch together and hadn’t been expecting anyone to call them.

“I have to go,” Alexa said as she got to her feet, she shouldered her black slouch shoulder bag as she checked her phone José was making reservations for her so she could be on the first flight to Miami to be with her boyfriend.

Daniella jumped up and followed after her friend, she didn’t know what had happened but she worried for Alexa; she had never seen her friend this worried before.

“What’s going on?” Daniella demanded as she hurried after Alexa, she frowned annoyed that her friend was rushing off like this; they barely saw each other anymore now that they both had boyfriends.

Alexa ran a hand through her hair, she looked at Daniella; she felt bad for rushing off and she had promised to spend the weekend with her.

“Something happened in Miami… Cris needs me,” Alexa said as she fished out the car keys and walked towards Cristiano’s Audi R8, it was new model and he had insisted that she got used to driving it.

Daniella blinked as she stared at her friend and took the keys from her, she wasn’t sure what was going on but she couldn’t let Alexa drive in this state; plus she had always wanted to drive a car like this.

“I’ll drive… you tell me what is going on,” Daniella said as she ushered her friend to the passenger side, she grinned a little as she peeked at the car; Karim didn’t trust her enough to put her on his insurance like Alexa was on Cristiano’s.

***

“So someone drugged Cristiano?” Daniella asked to be sure that she understood why her friend was rushing off to Miami; she was still unsure if she believed Alexa, and she hated that this was happening.

Alexa nodded her head as she packed her blue two wheel hold-all, she was packing light and she wasn’t going to miss the flight to Miami that she was book on in three hours’ time.

“Will you be okay to watch the dogs until we get back?” Alexa asked as she looked at Daniella, she hated to ask but they had no one else to ask right now; it would be a few hours before Dolores would arrive to keep an eye on the house.

Daniella nodded her head, it wasn’t as if Karim would be expecting her tonight anyway; she was meant to be keeping Alexa company and she had hoped to drag her friend clubbing for the night.

“Of course,” Daniella said as Alexa finished packing and got her passport, she was sure that whatever happened she was always going to be there for her friend.

Alexa smiled and gave Daniella a hug, she didn’t know what she would ever do if she didn’t have a friend like her; she had been a life-line for Alexa when she had no one else.

“I hope everything is okay with Cristiano,” Daniella said as she tried to hide how excited she was about being alone in the house, she didn’t share much about her relationship with Karim and she liked it that way.

Daniella had never been really interested in serious relationships, she always enjoyed the fun side of relationships and Karim understood that; they weren’t serious not like Alexa and Cristiano.

“Thanks,” Alexa said as she smiled at her friend, she brushed some hair from her face as she wondered what she would do on her nine hour flight to Miami.

***

“How is he?” Alexa asked as she hurried over to Hugo, who had been sent to pick her up from the airport; she was tired and had barely slept out of worry for her boyfriend.

Hugo smiled as he hugged the blonde, she looked exhausted and he hoped that she was going to be okay until they got to the hotel.

“He’s sick… doctor says it’ll be a few hours until the drug is out of his system, she slipped him a lot of it,” Hugo said as he collected her hold-all for her, he smiled as he signalled for Alexa to follow him.

Alexa hurried after him, she had so many questions and she doubted Cristiano was going to be well enough to answer them for her.

“How was your flight?” Hugo asked as he signalled a taxi as they stepped outside, he hadn’t had time to rent a car and he wanted to get back to the hotel as quickly as possible.

Alexa raised an eyebrow as Hugo opened the taxi, she peeked at her grey pleat front blouse and dark wash stretch skinny jeans paired grey scalloped heel court shoes; she hadn’t changed from her lunch with Daniella.

“Long,” Alexa said as she climbed into the taxi, she brushed her fingers through her hair and wondered how long it would be until she was with Cristiano.

Hugo set her hold-all into the boot of the taxi, he hadn’t told his brother that Alexa was coming and he was sure it would be a wonderful surprise for him when he woke to find his girlfriend with him.

“So tell me about the woman that drugged my boyfriend?” Alexa asked as she looked at Hugo, the taxi heading off to the hotel; she wanted to be sure that the woman was suffering for what she had done.

***

Cristiano moaned softly as he felt something cold press against his forehead, he blinked back the sleep that was in his eyes; he was exhausted and didn’t know what was going on.

“It’s okay,” said a soft voice as the person dabbed his head, he stared at her for a moment as he realized who it was; Cristiano swallowed as Alexa smiled down at him and wiped his head gently.

“What are you doing here?” Cristiano croaked hoarsely as he peered up at his girlfriend, he couldn’t believe that she was here with him right now; he had told his brother and brother-in-law not to call her.

Alexa wiped his head again as she tried to bring down his temperature, she wasn’t surprised he was getting ill after what had happened to him.

Cristiano watched her confused wondering if he was hallucinating, he was so sure that Alexa would have dumped him and fled back to Seattle for what he had done.

“José called me…” Alexa said softly, she had been told that he had a headache, she smiled down at him as she re-soaked the cloth; Cristiano blinked as he took in what she said.

Alexa sighed as she pressed a kiss to his lips, he kissed her back until she pulled away; Hugo had filled her in on what had been going on and she had felt her heart melt at his worries.

“I’m not mad… it wasn’t your fault,” Alexa said as she smiled at him, she wasn’t going to head back to Madrid until he was better and she had already asked Daniella to collect notes from her classes for her.

Cristiano looked at her as she dabbed his head, he couldn’t believe that José had spoken to Alexa and told her what had happened; he opened his mouth to protest but she shook her head and kissed him softly.

“I love you…” Alexa whispered making Cristiano stared at her for a moment before he gently pulled her back into another kiss, he would have to make this up to her; he had never thought that she would be here right now with him when he needed her most.