Chapter 29-Discord And Celestia,Sitting On A Tree (Epilogue)

"Okay, just try not to think so much, Tia."

"Discord, I really hope that's not a regular piece of advice you're going to give your students."

"Oh ha ha, Celestia, very funny. You know what I mean."

Discord leaned back against his blue thinking tree in a clearing of the Everfree Forest and grinned at his first 'student' following her latest attempt to work chaos magic (she'd been making valiant efforts for the better part of the morning). "You're approaching this like it's a new spell you have to memorize or a new body of knowledge you have to absorb. But it's a feeling, Celestia, a different perspective. It's not a building up of something new-it's an unraveling of what's already there, at least in this orderly world you ponies have created."

Celestia put a hoof to her chin. "So then in your chaos dimension, it would just be an expansion of what's already there..."

"Exactly." Discord nodded. "Which is why we're here in the Everfree Forest. It's like a border between my chaotic world and your orderly world. Here you can expand and unravel. But let's start with unraveling-that's what's hardest for orderly little ponies like you, after all, princess. Two weeks and no breakthroughs: I think you're holding back on me, Tia." Discord held back a chuckle.

Celestia rolled her eyes, trying not to recall her somewhat lackluster attempts so far today at chaos (the results of which had just been her using her usual alicorn magic to make a tree crooked or to turn a patch of red flowers blue or to create a few more piles of rainbow-colored popcorn). However, she had yet to summon magic like Discord's despite his best efforts to teach her...but she wasn't about to give up now.

"Okay, Discord.... Let's try one more time." Celestia sighed and powered up her horn once more.

"Celestia..." Discord smiled more, "you're doing it again..."

Celestia blinked, and her horn stopped glowing. "Oh, right..." She smiled sheepishly. "The chaos has to come as a burst."

Discord nodded. "Exactly. Like one of my 'snaps' but with a horn. It's not enough to do orderly magic to make something chaotic-we're trying to work chaos in its purest form." He moved closer to her. "And try not to feel nervous. We might not get it to work today; we might not get it to work ever actually. And it's probably more my fault than yours. I never realized how hard explaining chaos could be." He frowned a little, rubbing the back of his neck. "But at least we'll know sooner or later whether me being a teacher would work."

"We'll make it work, Discord." Celestia smiled softly at him. "And you're better at teaching than you realize. If this doesn't work, it won't be because of you."

Discord's smile returned.

Celestia winked at him and then looked forward at a large toadstool. She closed her eyes, and suddenly a flash of yellow magic left her horn. Then she opened her eyes and looked forward with a hopeful smile...only to have her smile fall. The toadstool had purple polka dots on it now, which was great...but they were in orderly lines on its surface. And she had still used pony magic even if the burst of it had been a little chaotic. She sighed again, and her look grew dull. "Maybe I'm just too old for this. Too set in my ways."

"You're not old, Tia. You're just the most stubborn lady on the planet." Discord chuckled.

Celestia rolled her eyes and glanced at him with a smirk.

The chaos master smirked at her in return and crossed his arms over his chest. "You know it's true. You have a way of doing things; a way of running Equestria; a way of using your magic. So you follow the patterns, and it's great for everyone. But you get so on edge about loosening up that you limit yourself sometimes. You're capable of chaos; you're capable of anything! You raise the sun each day! You put me on the path to getting reformed, you trained the princess of friendship, you even manage to get up at dawn each morning for work. You can do this-just let yourself do it." His smile softened. "Even if things get a little out of control, no one's around to get hurt, and I'm here to help. Chaos master, remember?" He brushed his paw against his chest and held his head high.