Chapter 1-A Special Invitation

If there was one thing Equestria, and particularly the Ponyville/Canterlot area of Equestria, needed following the destructive efforts and epic defeat of the villain Tirek, it was a thorough rest from all strife. Indeed, in the wake of such catastrophic struggles, everypony had been left tired, haggard, a little scared, and a whole lot in need of peace and order to restore their usual happiness. A rest was more than called for-a rest was the ideal solution to Equestria's jitters...and what better way to rest than a party?

Luckily, as a couple of weeks had passed since this latest great evil had nearly overtaken Equestria, it just happened to be time for Canterlot's annual Grand Galloping Gala-the most epic party of the year!

And right now, five of Equestria's youngest but pluckiest heroes (lacking for the moment their princess leader) were gathered in the throne room of Princess Twilight Sparkle's Friendship Castle, all residing on their designated thrones and happily admiring their gala tickets, which had arrived earlier courtesy of Spike.

"Gala party!" Pinkie Pie squealed, her eyes bright as she hugged her ticket close and grinned widely.

"All right! I've needed another one of these!" Rainbow Dash grinned, flying in the air and holding up her ticket proudly. "Last year's party was awesome!"

Apple Jack raised an eyebrow, placing her ticket down on her throne's armrest. "Er, not to burst your bubble, Rainbow, but if I recollect correctly, last year's party was a let down followed by a disaster that and just barely managed to end with a good time once we all stopped fussing and just enjoyed spending time with each other. And we were just lucky the princess was so all right with us accidentally destroying half the ballroom."

Rainbow Dash just waved her off with a smile though. "Eh, so there were some bumps-big deal. The point is in the end we managed to turn that boring shindig on its head, and even the Princess had to admit how cool it all turned out."

Apple Jack just rolled her eyes to the side but smiled nonetheless.

"I'm just so glad she wants to have us back again this year," Fluttershy remarked quietly as she admired her ticket with a little smile. "Even if Princess Celestia liked it, we did make sort of a big mess last year. But it'll be nice to go to the Gala this year and know we won't be disappointed as long as we stay with each other and have fun."

Rarity nodded with a proud smile, holding up her ticket magically to admire it. "Yes, we're all seasoned Gala socialites now. And I'm sure we could all use a lovely evening of relaxing in fine society after the nastiness and stress of that Tirek experience. I'll have to start planning my ensemble immediately and looking over all of this season's most fashionable design patterns." She clapped her hooves together in excitement.

"Ooo, hey, if you're working on a dress for yourself, does that mean you're going to make dresses for all of us again this year?" Pinkie Pie squealed, her smile beaming as usual. "Because if you are, can I request more candy corns on mine? Lots more candy corns in the pattern of my dress! Ooo and frosting and cakes! And can you make me a pocket for my party canon and-mm!" Pinkie was stopped by Rarity reaching out and holding a hoof over her mouth.

"Er," Rarity began with a nervous grin, "Perhaps we'll just tweak the dresses from last year instead of going through the process of designing all new ones. Heh..." She removed her hoof from Pinkie's mouth and cleared her throat to calmly go on. "But I do need to redesign something entirely new for Twilight. She needs an outfit that will accommodate her new wings, not to mention she's gotten taller ever since her alicorn transformation. And she's a princess now-she should look the part."

"Speaking of Twilight," Apple Jack started, scratching her head and glancing around, "Where has that mare gotten to anyway?" And indeed at Twilight's throne sat an unopened envelope and no Twilight. "And where's Spike?" Likewise, upon Spike's empty throne sat an unopened envelope.