Chapter 21-On The Gala (The Musical Chapter)

On this lovely early afternoon at the Canterlot castle the air was abuzz with excitement: the most thrilling social event of the year, the Grand Galloping Gala, was finally tonight!

Last minute preparations were underway throughout the castle. And meanwhile the princesses of the day and night were seated upon a small sofa together in one of the sitting rooms of the castle as hoofmaids dashed around gathering everything that would be necessary to prepare the pony sisters for the evening ahead. The issue of hairstyling, though, was almost all taken care of as Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie were just finishing up their expert work on the royal manes and tails.

"And...there!" Rarity announced as she wiped her brow with her hoof and took a step back from the moon princess, smiling in personal satisfaction. "Princess Luna, I do believe I have finally finished with your mane and tail for tonight. Girls," Rarity glanced past Luna's ethereal mane to Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, who were currently working on the hair of the sun princess, "how is princess Celestia's mane coming?"

"Almost...got it..." Pinkie Pie replied, her face scrunched up as she tried to finish tugging a ribbon through a few ethereal waves.

"...And...done!" Fluttershy announced brightly as she adjusted a sun-shaped pin (with an industrial strength backing, of course) in Celestia's hair near her ear and stepped back.

"Whoa!" Pinkie Pie finally got the ribbon through, toppling to the floor as she did so. Then the pink pony stood up and dusted herself off, smiling again. "Done!"

The pony sisters gave soft laughs at the efforts of the girls and then looked to their own manes and tails and each other's, which now had extra waves and light curls in them and ribbons woven throughout (as well as a crystal sun pin above one of Celestia's ears and a crystal crescent moon pin above one of Luna's).

"Ladies, you have done an excellent job." Luna nodded to the three young mares. "Thank you so much." She used her magic to put her crown back atop her head again.

Celestia nodded, using her magic to replace her crown as well. "Yes, your styling is very lovely. I appreciate all of you working so hard. I'm only sorry it took you three as long as it did to manage our manes and tails." Her smile turned a little sheepish (especially as she recalled that at one point Pinkie had actually gotten lost for about two minutes within her tail). She cleared her throat and went on. "You must want to get home soon to get ready yourselves."

"Oh, don't worry, Princess Celestia," Rarity assured, waving her hoof. "There's plenty of time for all of that. But thank you again for giving us the honor of helping you." She gave a bow.

"Yes, Princess Celestia," Fluttershy nodded as she gave a bow as well and then straightened up. "It was so nice to get to be a part of making the Gala special for you and Princess Luna."

"I for one had a ton of fun!" Pinkie Pie nodded her head in a bowing motion and then bounced up with a big grin. "Ethereal hair is so neat! Do you think maybe one day if I wish really hard, I can have ethereal hair? Or maybe Twilight can use a spell to give it to me? Or maybe if I just concentrate really hard I can get my hair to wave like that myself? Or-"

Rarity put a hoof over Pinkie Pie's mouth now and cleared her throat, smiling at the princesses again. "We're all just glad we could help both of you. And your hair looks more divine than ever, princesses." She released her hoof.

Pinkie Pie took a deep breath and nodded. "Yeah, that too."

Celestia laughed softly. "Thank you."

"Excuse me, princesses?" A hoofmaid came forward now and curtseyed. "Would you care for your hooficure now?"

"Or perhaps your mud masks?" Another hoofmaid came forward.