Evolution

"Hi, dad! Tell me, please, something about the evolution!"

"Of evolution? You mean that something, which is the engine of progress?"

"Dad, mind you! It's the science which is now sort of an engine of that evolution, and evolution is something... that was before us. We are supposed to live here for quite a while, millions of years, if they don't lie to us in schools. Sort of evolving here, apparently."

"Right you are, son, we have almost evolved up to a threat of mutual mass destruction already. Or progressed. So... what exactly did you want to learn of that, what's the name, evolution?"

"Just a couple of questions, dad. Because when I started asking them our teacher, she stared at me so spitefully that I have almost lost my tongue during that moment. And, well, gave birth to a bad mark, so that I stop asking silly questions henceforth. She said that it's anti-scientifically."

"Well, sonny, at present everything, not fitting itself into such inconsistent scientific picture of the world, is called anti-scientific. That's the exact reason why we are, e-r-m, have been so promptly scientifically and progressively evolving, that's it..."

"Well, dad. Today at a lesson of biology the teacher was telling us that I as well as you and all-all people of the world have progressed from a monkey, and at first life was born in the ocean and after that moved to a land, and that all animals have been evolving for a long long time, periodically falling in mutations for a better effect and, well, finally mutated up to their current state, or so they say. That the first-living organisms have arisen from the ocean..."

"From the ocean, but not that one of which they are presently thinking. Mutations, you say?"

"Yep, father, mutations! Terrible force, that's it, the engine of the evolution... Listen, explain please at first to me how that did happen, that fishes have crept out onto a coast of the ocean, aye? Have they grown feet themselves or what? And why not wings at once – that would be so much more convenient that way, right? I feel it with my bones!"

"Well, wings had no chance to appear there, they couldn't be grown from fins, right? And feet... feet have grown, gradually. Hundred thousands of years have been passing; extremities have been gradually growing and have finally grown, at last. A gradual evolutionary process, or sort of. Most likely."

"Wait, dad! Fishes do not live for millions of years. How did they even manage to grow these extremities gradually? Once jumped on the coast in mass quantities, looked around themselves with grin smiles, noticed how great it would be to live on the land instead of water and decided to grow themselves feet, to be able to run once, or started to grow back their fins to be able to creep at least? And then they surely jumped back from the coast into the ocean and told to the rest of their cowardly comrades of that marvelous new world, lying around their feet... fins?"

"Those born to creep will never swim. Well, perhaps, these were some special, most courageous fishes. They have jumped all over the coast and safely jumped back to the sea, have kept these images and actions in their genetic memory, and all the rest of generations could take advantage on this newly-acquired knowledge. Probably, well, these were one of a kind heroic fishes. Trailblazers, if it's possible to say so."

"Silly ones of some sort... Wasn't an entire ocean enough for them? Listen... and how's that – in genetic memory? Did new generations of fishes devour, to say so, their dead ancestors and were instantly "enlightened" with this new knowledge?"

"Well, dunno know. Probably, there still was some mechanism of transfer of the new information between representatives of one kind of live beings. Probably, it still exists."