Marked - Derek Hale

A/N: Originally published in my multiple fandom imagines book

***

"What do you think, Y/N?"

Your head jerked up when you heard your name. You were sitting in the cafeteria at lunch with your two best friends, Scott McCall and Stiles Stilinski. The truth was, you'd quit listening about the fourth time Scott mentioned Allison. "What do I think about what?" The boys were used to you spacing out. They wouldn't think anything of it.

Scott looked around then leaned toward you. "Do you think Allison likes me?"

You blinked at him several times as you decided how to answer without screaming in his face. "Scott, don't take this the wrong way, but who cares? Don't you think you have bigger things to worry about right now? Like not shifting in front of the entire freaking school?"

His cheeks flushed. "Come on, Y/N. My whole life can't be about that. I need a bit of normalcy."

Stiles grasped your shoulder. "See, Y/N knows what's important here. Thank you, Y/N."

"You're welcome, Stiles."

Scott rolled his eyes. "Whatever. You're still coming to the game, aren't you?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming," you said as you shook your head. Of course you were going. Who else was going to keep them out of trouble?

***

Scott was kicking ass on the field but not in a good way. The other team was scared of him, in fact you were pretty sure your own team wasn't too fond of him at the moment, despite the fact you were winning. Damn it, McCall.

Stiles kept looking over his shoulder and catching your eye. What did he want you to do exactly? It's not like you could run out on the field and drag Scott off. As luck would have it, the local hunter had taken the seat next to you. You'd spent most of the game drawing Chris Argent into conversation anytime he seemed to be studying your friend too closely. Allison kept giving you looks, obviously trying to figure out why the hell you kept talking to her dad.

The game finished and Scott ran off the field. You managed to curb the urge to chase after him, though Allison did not. You moved behind the crowd so you could gather Scott's equipment. Stiles and his dad were the last two to move away from the bleachers, whispering to each other, Stiles occasionally throwing a look in your direction.

The only thing left you needed to grab was the glove Scott had dropped on the field. You trotted across the grass and snatched it from the ground. You looked it over to see the ends of the fingers cut open. His mom was going to be pissed.

"I'll take that," a voice said from behind you and you spun to see Jackson standing mere feet away. His arms were crossed over his chest as he glowered at you.

"No need. I got it," you said and started to move past him.

He grasped your arm and pulled you to a stop. "I said, I'd take it." He moved to grab it from your hand but you managed to keep it from his grasp.

"Back off, Jackson. It's Scott's glove and I'm getting his shit together." You jerked your arm out of his grip.

He laughed a little and grabbed you again, harder this time. "Fine. But I want to know what's going on with that little friend of yours and you're going to tell me."

"Let go of me," you ordered, trying to pull away from him once more.

"Not until you talk."

"I believe the girl told you to let her go," a voice said and you turned to see Derek Hale standing nearby with his hands in the pockets of his jacket. You tried not to show your surprise as last you knew, he was still in jail.

"This doesn't have anything to do with you, Hale. Get lost."

Derek tilted his head. "You don't want to do this with me, kid. Let the girl go."

Jackson huffed a laugh and started to drag you in the opposite direction. In seconds, Derek was in front of you. He grasped Jackson's wrist and applied pressure until he yelped and let go of your arm. You moved back far enough that he wouldn't be able to grab you again. Derek shoved Jackson's chest and the younger boy stumbled back across the field.

"I think you broke my wrist, asshole," he yelled cradling the injured arm against his chest.

"Not yet, but that can be arranged," Derek responded. "Get out of here."

Jackson looked between the two of you for a moment then hurried off in the opposite direction.

Once he disappeared from sight, Derek walked over to you. "You okay?" he asked.

You blinked and nodded but you were still trembling from the encounter. He put his hands on your upper arms and bent slightly so he was looking in your eyes. "Breathe."

Until he said the words, you weren't aware that you were hyperventilating. You closed your eyes and concentrated on taking deep breaths. After a moment, you felt better. You opened your eyes and looked at your savior. "Thank you for getting rid of Jackson. He's an asshole."

He smirked at that and straightened. "Yeah. He is. I'm Derek Hale by the way."

"I know." He continued to look at you and you realized he was waiting for your name. "Oh, sorry. Y/N Y/L/N."

"Okay, Y/N, what do you know exactly?"

You studied him as you decided how to answer. Scott and Stiles were terrified of him and convinced that he killed the woman in the woods, but you didn't get that vibe from him at all. In fact, you felt safe with him. Maybe all this werewolf crap was making you crazy. "I know what you and Scott are. Scott and Stiles think you killed the woman in the woods. Did you?"

"No."

"I believe you," you said, surprised you meant the words.

"Why?"

You shrugged your shoulders. "I don't know. I just do."

"Odd," Derek whispered to himself but you heard it.

"Calling me odd won't help any." You smirked to let him know you were joking.

He faced you fully and hooked a hand behind your neck as he looked in your eyes. "Can I try something?" he asked, sounding almost scared.

You frowned. "I suppose."

Derek's eyes shifted as he kept his gaze locked on you. You sucked in a breath as your stomach fluttered.

He let his eyes go back to normal. "Unbelievable," he said then leaned forward capturing your lips with his. A feeling of love and wanting swamped you. You returned the kiss even as you wondered what the hell was wrong with you. Suddenly your wrist began to burn like you were holding it over a flame. You jerked back with a hiss.

"What the hell?" you snapped and lifted your wrist to examine it. A howling wolf head with a triple spiral in the middle was emblazoned on your wrist. You rubbed the fingers on your other hand over it to find it perfectly flat, a permanent part of your skin.

Derek grabbed your hand with his and tugged the sleeve of his jacket so you could see a matching mark on him. "We're soulmates."

"What now?"

"I suspected the moment I first saw you. Then tonight when that asshole put his hands on you, all I wanted to do was rip his head off. It seemed a bit of an extreme reaction for someone whose name I didn't even know." He rubbed his thumb along your mark. "And then you believed me when you had every reason not to. Come with me and I'll explain everything."

You weren't entirely certain what had just happened, but you did know that you didn't want to be separated from the man in front of you for even a moment. Knowing your parents wouldn't miss you even if you were gone for days, you nodded.

He smiled and laced his fingers with yours as he held your hand. You leaned against his shoulder as he led you to his car. A lone glove lay forgotten on the field behind you.