Late Night Libations - Chris Argent

You sat on the floor in Allison Argent's bedroom and watched her sleep. You weren't trying to be creepy, you were just in too much pain to sleep at the moment. The pack had fought with a group of rogues moving through the area. You'd been clawed and tossed into a tree. After Melissa stitched you up, she'd sent you off with the admonishment you couldn't go home alone just in case of a concussion. Allison had immediately offered to bring you home with her.

Though you were a few years older than her, the two of you had become quick friends and often looked out for each other. So, she'd driven you to her house and helped you clean up when you kept pulling your stitches trying to do it yourself. As you were curvier than Ali, she'd raided her dad's closet to get you a sweater and a pair of his sleep pants. You were warm and comfortable and in any other circumstances you would have curled up and been out like a light.

But you hurt. You ached deep in your bones. Plus, your head was buzzing in the way it only did after a fight. You always ran everything over and over again in your head thinking of all the different ways it could have played out. It was worse when you or someone else had been injured as you figured out how things could have gone differently. You'd hoped to just calm your brain enough you could go back to sleep but it didn't appear as if that was going to happen anytime soon.

With a sigh, you eased yourself up off the floor. You knew where the pain killers and the alcohol were. Not the best combination but as long as you didn't take anything stronger than Advil you figured you'd be fine. The whiskey would probably do you more good than the pills anyway. You made your way to the kitchen and popped three Ibuprofen with a glass of water. Then you padded out to the garage and grabbed the bottle of whiskey from the cabinet Chris kept it in.

He didn't want it in the house where there were often unsupervised teenagers so he kept it in the garage which was under full video surveillance. You and Derek were legal however and had shared a drink with the hunter more than once. Not as often as you'd like if you were honest. You'd had some seriously naughty thoughts about that man.

You carried the bottle into the kitchen and poured some into the glass you'd used for water.

"Pour me one while you're at it." The deep voice coming from behind you made you jump and you clenched your teeth as the stitches pulled.

"Christ, Argent. You scared the shit out of me."

He chuckled as he moved closer. "Sorry."

You hummed and shot him a look. He wasn't sorry in the least. You handed him his glass before twisting the lid back on the bottle. When you sipped at your drink, you closed your eyes as you savored the taste. Feeling his gaze, you turned to him with a lifted brow. "Yes?"

He swallowed and his tongue ran along his bottom lip as his eyes trailed over you. "Are those my clothes?"

Your face heated and you tugged on the hem of the sweater. "Yeah. Sorry." His gaze darkened and you had a hard time reading his expression. "My clothes were torn up and bloody. Ali said you wouldn't mind."

His expression shifted instantly as he sat his glass on the counter. He stepped closer to you. "What happened?" His voice was heavy with worry.

"We finally caught up with those rogues. I got clawed and tossed into a tree. Not my finest hour." You always hated admitting any failings to him, afraid he'd think you weren't capable.

"Let me see." It was a cross between a demand and a request. He closed the little remaining distance between the two of you. You moved to lift the sweater, hissing when your stitches pulled again. His eyes locked on yours. "May I?" he asked as he gestured to your side.

At your nod, he lifted the sweater slowly. Only when the wound was fully exposed did his gaze move from your face to your side. "Damn it, sweetheart. I thought I told you to be more careful."

You gave a little shrug. "It could have been worse. Glue fixed most of it. Only the deepest parts got the stitches."

He shot you a glare before quickly returning his attention to your wound. "Let me see where you hit the tree." You turned so he could see your back. You hadn't seen it so you had no idea what it looked like. Fingers ran over your skin. "Fuck," he breathed out and let the sweater drop.

You turned to face him to find he'd taken a step back. His jaw was set and his arms were crossed over his chest. "What did the doctor say?"

You bit your lip and glanced away.

His arms dropped and he stepped back into your space. He said your name but it was more than just your name; it was a warning.

Your eyes found his again. "It would just be so much to try to explain. Melissa fixed me up."

"Well, that's just lovely, sweetheart, but since when does Melissa have an x-ray machine to look at your back when it bounces off a tree?" You'd heard Chris angry before, but it had never been directed at you.

You looked at him with wide eyes. "I'm sorry?"

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. After a moment, he pulled you into his arms. Tension flowed from you and you wrapped your arms around his waist. "No, I'm sorry," he finally said. "I worry about you almost more than Allison. At least she has the crossbow and can stay the hell out of the line of fire."

He should probably tell her that. He'd have a coronary if he saw how up close and personal she used that thing sometimes. "You don't have to worry about me, Chris. I can take care of myself."

A sound of agreement left his lips and he placed a hand on the side of your face as he leaned back. "And what if I want to worry about you, sweetheart?"

You simply gazed at him without responding until he bent down to capture your lips with his. The kiss was short, sweet and long overdue. When he pulled away, you fisted your hands in his flannel to pull him back to you. He laughed against your lips but gave you what you wanted.

When Allison woke in the morning and couldn't find you, she headed downstairs. Frowning at the quiet, she searched the lower level of the house. She found you and her father curled up together on the couch sound asleep. Smiling, she crept back up to her room texting Lydia as she went.