Chapter 14- The Dancer and The Apology

Chapter 14

Song: Home by Akacia 

***********************************************************************************************

Sophie's Pov. 

"And up! Up! Get that leg up higher Brianna! Kayla, you missed your cue yet again." I see Instructor Daniels clutching his nose out of frustration. I looked at the second act of the waltz of the snowflakes as they run this number again and I see that Kayla is indeed struggling. 

She looks like she's lost in the snowflakes.

"Kayla, if I have to remind you one more time on what your cue is, I'm gonna scream." He cuts the music off and looks turns to Elizabeth. 

"Alright, Elizabeth. We are going to run the third movement from pas de deux in act two- the  Sugar Plum Fairy dance. I trust that you will nail each move like the last time." He urges her to get into position. 

The thing that I liked about Elizabeth is that she was an amazing dancer and she had modesty and poise. 

Maybe that's why we were the two most hated dancers in the studio. The girls felt threatened. 

"Nice! lovely movement- keep it smooth." He nods his head as she nails her turns with such lightness, you would think that she was being held up by a string. 

Once she finished some girls including myself clapped for her remarkable performance. Each time in rehearsal, she would always give it her all as if she were performing the show for the actual audience. I admired that because there were times that I felt as if I was performing just for the studio. 

"Okay girls take 30 and we will move on to the rest of act two when we return. Sophie might I have a word with you for just a second." He motions me toward him. 

"I should be dancing by the start of next week," I assure him. He nods his head.

"I was actually going to speak to you about another dance opportunity. The Royal ballet is having auditions for soloist to be featured in their upcoming talents show. I know that you already have some pressure on your shoulders for this show, but I just wanted to bring it to your attention. I received a personal request to tell you from the director herself." My eyes widen at his words.

"Really? Wow, that's amazing. Thank you!" I say in excitement. But then that excitement kind of dies down. When would I have time to do both? I wasn't so sure that they would even pick me if I was to audition. 

"I hope you think about it." He says and then walks away for his lunch break. I let out a sigh and change from my pointe shoes to some slippers. During later evening rehearsals, a lot of the girls liked to go out together for lunch. 

I usually went to with about three other girls, but when I went out to the main lobby, I saw that they had apparently all left without me. 

Well, that's just wonderful. 

I let out a small huff and take my dance bag with me and decide to head over to the Cafe. Some girls liked to go to the cafe too because it was close. Maybe they were there. 

As I walk into the cafe, I notice three things. 

One, that Ben was not behind the counter, but that the other girl was. Two, that despite the odds, Mr. Conrad was having lunch, but on his phone at the same time so he didn't notice me yet. And three, that there were no girls from dance even here. 

A real bummer. 

"Hi, I'll take a sandwich with a hot chai latte, thanks." I make my order. 

"Fancy running into you here." Mr. Conrad greets me.