chapter 27

Riley

"I saw your Mommies the other day." Jessica said nervously looking at me as we sat down at a booth in the ice cream shop "At my house."

"Really." I said looking up at her with big eyes.

"Yeah, they were helping us move in." She said taking a bite of her ice cream.

"How are they?" I asked. "It's been awhile since I've been over there."

"I know." she said with a sad smile "I overheard them talking, they said it's been almost a month."

"Yeah" I said with a sigh "It's just, once we got home and I went back to work, everything changed."

"It didn't have to though." Jessica said "When I first lived with Sheri and Mike I worked for the first few months and Andy had to quit his job when we moved here because he was still working."

"I know." I said with a groan rubbing my eyes before I looked back at her "How are they?" I reminded her.

"There pretending." she said after a second.

"Pretending?" I repeated sitting up in my seat and looking at her in confusion.

"Yeah." she said laughing when I raised my eyebrow waiting for clarification. "Before I met Mike and Sheri I was a lot like you, I didn't have anyone. I smiled a lot though, everyone would tell you that Jessica Johnson was a very happy girl but I wasn't I was just pretending. Hayden and Dana smiled a lot when they were over especially around me and the boys but I could tell they weren't real smiles, they were just-"

"Pretending." I interrupted "I don't know what to do."

"It's simple." she said with big eyes "Call them."

"I can't just call them." I said looking at her in surprise "They probably hate me."

"That's hilarious." she said taking the last bite of her ice cream "you are the one person they could never hate."

"They haven't tried to contact me." I mumbled under my breath.

"Yeah, because they think you don't want them too." Jessica said "trust me it's killing them."

"How do you know this?" I said with a frustrated groan.

"Because I'm an expert eavesdropper, it's like my favorite past time." she said "Just call them."

"I don't know." I said as we walked outside and started to walk towards my apartment.

"Call them." Jessica said as we made it to my front door and she gave me a hug "You won't regret it."

I groaned as she turned around and walked away and walked up the stairs to my apartment and unlocked the door. I paced my apartment biting my nails as I tried to decide what I wanted to do. I took out my phone with a shaky breath and pulled up Hayden's number. I stared at it for a few seconds before I worked up the nerve to hit the call button.

"Riley?" I heard her answer on the 1st ring.

"Hi Mommy." I said trying to hold back a sob.

Hayden

"What's for dinner?" Dana asked walking into the dinning room where I sat at the table looking through picture on my phone. "Hayden." She said taking my phone and setting it down "We'll be okay." she said.

"Do you really believe that?" I asked looking at her. "Because it's killing me." I said getting angry.

"It's killing me too." she said wiping a tear. "But we have to be okay."

"I know we wanted to give her space, but I don't know how much longer I can sit back and wa-" I stopped as my phone rang and gasped when I looked down and saw Riley's picture smiling up at me "Riley?" I said in surprise putting the phone to my ear.

"Hi Mommy." I heard her say into the phone.

"Hi baby." I said trying to hold back tears. I watched Dana frantically motion for me to put the phone on speaker and held it out before I continued talking "How are you baby?"

"ISORRYMOIDIDNMETADISAPEJESSISAYDATYOU." I looked at the phone with big eyes as Riley started sobbing out words.

"Baby." I said trying to interrupt her.

"ISHOUL-"

"Riley I need you to calm down sweet pea."

"IANNACOMOME"

"Riley sweety can you take a deep breath and tell Mommy what's wrong?"

"IANNAOMOME! IANNAOMEOME! IANNAO-"

"RILEY!" Dana yelled trying to get her attention.

"Es Mama." she said holding back a sob.

"Take a deep breath and tell Mommy and I what's wrong baby."

"I wanna come 'ome Mama." she said.
"Okay." I said wiping away a tear as Dana and I walked out the door to get in the car "where are you now pumpkin? Mama and I know will pick you up and drive you home."

"at da partment." she said with a sniffle "you take Eo too?" she asked. Neither Dana and I answered as we stared at each other in surprise when we realized what she was asking.

"You're at your apartment sweetheart?" I quietly asked.

"Es Mommy." she mumbled.

"And you wanna come home?" I asked "to our house?"

"Es pease." she said "I do that?" she asked "I come 'ome now?"

"Of course you can sweetheart." I said "You can always come home."

"Eo too?" she asked "He ant to come 'ome too."

"Leo too angel." I said wiping more tears as I listened to her talk about Leo "Mama and I have everything you need but why don't you pack some of the things you want to take with you." I said as I listened to her bable.

"Es Mommy." I heard her say. We eventually pulled up to her building and I jumped out of the car before Dana put it into park.

"Riley." I said unlocking the door and poking my head.

"Mommy!" She said running to me and jumping in my arms.

"Hi pumpkin." I said sliding to the floor and sitting with her on my lap "I missed you so much."

"Me too Mom." she said nuzzling her head into my neck "I'm sorry." she said starting to cry as Dana walked in the front door and grabbed the backpack Riley had sitting by the door.

"You don't have to apologize bug." Dana said as I stood up and carried Riley towards the door "Were just glad you called." she said kissing her on the forehead.

"Let's go home." I said handing her Leo and holding her closer to my chest. "Let's finally go home."

Hey friends! Long time no see, am I right! I'm sorry I haven't updated in awhile. Writers block is killing me! but I will prevail! hope you enjoy!