chapter 7

I looked at Hayden and sighed. "The kind that we can't do anything about. But I was thinking and this is totally crazy. But if she can't go to work for 4-6 weeks maybe we should take a vacation. This is also crazy but I could talk to Kyle about getting her into that 3D printed cast trial and then she could go swimming be more mobile. Once again crazy but we could go to the condo in Hawaii. All of it is crazy but it would give her the chance to be little without the pressure of everyday life. She could just let go."

Hayden looked at me with a smile. "You are right" she said with a laugh. "You are absolutely crazy, but I think we should ask her. The worse that can happen is she say no."

"What could I say no to?" Riley asked standing right behind me causing me to jump.

"You are one quiet little bug you know that? I asked reaching out to tickle her making her giggle and squirm away. "What did your boss say first?"

"He said that I was probably right. But I should take Monday off and call them when they open in the morning. Sooooo?"

I pulled her to the couch and took a deep breath. "First let me say that I realize that this is a totally crazy idea so don't feel pressured to say yes. If you can't go to work for the next couple of weeks we were thinking that maybe we could take a vacation. Get some sun and sand. I think I have a way of getting you a totally waterproof cast so we can also go swimming."

"And where would we go on this vacation?" She asked with a suspicious smile.

"Probably Hawaii."

"Are you serious?" She said standing up in shock. I nodded my head smiling at her. "Can I think about it? We won't even know if I have the time off until Monday."

"Of course, Riley!" Hayden said "We don't even have to go if you don't want to."

"I do want to actually." She said with a shrug. "It just seems so crazy!"

"Take your time honey." I said with a smile "And for now I say we build a fort and watch..."

"The Lion King!" Riley shouted out in excitement.

"Lion King it is." Hayden said as we started gathering pillows and blankets to make our fort.

Monday came much to fast for my liking as I drove Riley up to my office building. Listening to her on the phone was interesting, throughout the weekend she was constantly between being big and little. Not quite little age but definitely not big age. I decided that big Riley was just as cute as middle Riley.

"Ok." She said getting off the phone. "I have to go to 36th street to fill out some paperwork but I have the next 4-6 weeks off." She started to get out of the car before looking back at me and saying "I'm in for Hawaii by the way."

Well crap I thought to myself as I got out of my car and grabbed my stuff. I quickly called Hayden to tell her the news and then got on the phone with my friend Kyle. "Kyle hi." I said walking into my office. "If I send you some x-rays of a broken arm do you think you could see if they are a match for your trial? And if they aren't a match, can you please try to make them a match?" I begged him.

"Send them my way." He said with a laugh. "Whose arm do they belong to?"

"My new little." I said with a smile faxing him the x-rays. Kyle and I go way back so he knows all about Hayden and me being caregivers, him and his wife are even throwing around the idea. "She broke her arm in two different places a few days ago and just got it looked at. But we want to take her to Hawaii."

"Believe it or not her break is actually perfect for our study. A two-bone break is something we don't have yet. Two things though. One she would have to get the scan done like yesterday so bring her in asap, and you realize that she has to get x-rayed once a week."

"Both are perfectly acceptable. She is at work filling out some paperwork and should be here in about an hour we can stop by then?"

"See you then Dana."

When Riley came back to my office all smiles I walked her out to my office explaining to her what we were doing. I could tell she was nervous but also a little excited to get the big bulky cast off of her arm. Two hours later we walked out with a brand new purple 3D cast.

"It's so small, and light!" She said with a smile. Holding her arm out in front of her. "And I can swim and shower and this is so awesome Dana!"

"I'm glad you're excited bug." I said with a laugh as I held the door open for her. "Let's go show Hayden."

She kept looking at her arm the whole way home in complete amazement. I couldn't help but take a picture at a red light and send it to Hayden just to show her how excited Riley was for this new cast. When we pulled up to the house Riley jumped out of the car and ran to the front door throwing it open. When I walked in Hayden had set Riley up on the counter and had her arms placed on either side of her as she listened to her talk a mile a minute with a huge smile on her face.

I heard Riley run off as Hayden walked out to the living room and sit down on the couch. "I bought plane tickets for early Wednesday afternoon, I called ahead and asked Susan to open the house for us. I also gave her a list of things to Riley proof the house; like replacing the tables, removing the rugs, and putting up baby gates. I think I'll take Riley out tomorrow and go shopping, you're welcome to come but I know that's not really your thing."

"You and Riley go and have fun." I said with a laugh. "We did a lot of talking today and thankfully we both have things in common with her. She's perfect for us Hayden." I said as she came downstairs in her pajamas.

"Alright little miss sunshine! Did you brush your teeth and take your meds?" Hayden said smiling up at her and waiting for an answer. "Good girl. Say goodnight to Dana and I'll tuck you in."

"Goodnight Baby." I said pulling her onto my lap to get a hug. "I will see you in the morning." I watched as Hayden chased her up the stairs and listened to their giggles as they disappeared around the corner. I couldn't t wait for this trip, everything was turning out perfect.