chapter 40

Hayden

"You ook funny unca Mike" Riley said with a giggle as Mike walked into the living room with his head held high and a serious look on his face.

"I'm sorry" he said with a terrible accent "I don't know who that is." he said sending all four kids into furious giggles "I am Sir Judge Mc Fuzzy Pants, and this court is now in order." he said sitting down at the table and picking up the blue plastic gavel.

I smiled as I watched Riley squeal in excitement and laughed as Dana struggled not to roll her eyes at Mike's ridiculous costume.

When we finally signed all of the papers and sent them into the courthouse Riley was excited as she nervously waited to get the news back. But when we showed her her new birth certificate with her changed name she was confused and devastated. Dana and I were lost for words as she ran up to her room frustrated and refused to talk to us. But when I went to say goodnight I overheard her talking to Leo and figured out why she was so upset.

"I thought we were going to go see a judge Leo'' she said with a frown and sniff "like all the other kids who get dopted." I quietly sighed to myself before I tucked her in and met Dana in the living room.

"She wanted a real adoption." I told Dana quietly as I flopped down on the couch next to her.

"I don't know what that means" she said pausing the TV.

"Like all the kids she knew growing up got." I said.

"Crap" Dana said with a sigh as she looked upstairs with a frown. "It makes since. That's what she associates with a forever home."

"We really need to talk to her about running to her room when she's upset." I said smiling as Dana snorted. "She kind of looked like a Disney Princess when I walked up there dramatically sprawled across her bed."

"At least she didn't run away this time." she said with a sigh.

Once we told Mike and Sharon about Riley's reaction they were more than happy to help us come up with a plan to make this day happen for her. Mike was the first to suggest someone dressing up as a judge to officiate the occasion. Honestly I think he wanted to wear the curly wig and long robe Sheri found at a thrift shop. I looked around the room and smiled at all of the stuffies the kids had lined up on the couches and chairs they had dragged into the living room to form the courtroom audience. 

"Mrs and Mrs Carter" Mike said, pulling my attention to him and Riley standing in front of the TV "can you please join us over hither." he said pointing at the ground in front of Riley.

I smiled as Riley covered her mouth and giggled as Dana and I walked to stand next to them squealing as Dana picked her up and tossed her in the air before setting her on her hip.

"Order" Mike said pounding the gavel on the table causing the kids to burst into giggles again "order in the court." Once all the kids stopped laughing he looked around the room, cleared his throat and continued "Ladies and gentlemen, rabbits, lions, pigs, and other furry friends we have gathered here today to witness the joining of this new family." he said with a smile. "If there are any objections, speak now or forever hold your piece." he said with a grin as Sherry snorted. "Riley do you take your Mommy and Mama to be your Mommy and Mama forever and ever and ever?" he asked laughing when Riley vigorously nodded her head "and Dana and Hayden, do you take Riley to be your forever daughter, forever and ever and ever."

"Of course" I said, kissing her cheek at the same time Dana screamed "Heck yes!"

"Then I now pronounce you, family, family, and family. You may now hug your baby." he said pounding the gavel as Dana and I squished a squealing Riley with hugs and kisses.

I smiled as she wiggled down from Dana's arms and ran to the two laptops set up on the tables to talk to mine and Dana's parents in excitement. She had begged us to video call our parents so they could watch the impromptu hearing.

"Did you see, did you see?" she asked in excitement!

"We did sweetpea!" Dana's dad said with a laugh "it's official!"

"Yeah" she said, running off with a laugh.

I walked over to the laptops and smiled as I leaned down to talk to them. "Thanks for watching guys, I know it wasn't much but she really wanted you to be here."

"We wouldn't have missed it." my Mom said before they all signed off.

I followed loud giggles into the kitchen where I found Sheri passing out slices of cake and bowls of ice cream to the kids who were quickly running to the backyard to demolish the sweet treat as quickly as possible.

"Are you sure you want to take all of them?" Mike asked with a grin as he took a plate from Sheri, still wearing the curly wig.

"Yeah" Dana said with a nervous chuckle "Riley didn't ask for much, so when she asked for a sleepover there was no way we were going to say no."

"Besides you take Riley all the time." I said.

"Yeah, but we already have 3. One more isn't going to push us over the edge of sanity" Sheri said "plus Riley is the sweetest little I have ever met. I love my kids more than anything, but my boys can drive me up a wall."

"Real quick!" Mike said with a mouth full of cake.

"Daddy" Andy said walking into the room with his empty plate "Mommy says you not supposed to talk with food in your mouth."

"Yeah Daddy" Sheri said with a smirk "Where are your manners?" she teased.

The rest of the day went smooth and without any hiccups, despite our protestation Sheri and Mike brought a few gifts for Riley to open. A charm bracelet from Mike and Sheri with an adoption Charm Pendant already attached, a best friend charm from Jessica, a remote control car from Andy, and a superhero action figure from Scott.

"We're not sure if little Riley will be able to wear the bracelet, but we figured big Riley would appreciate it." Sheri said with a smile as we watched Mike and the kids open Riley's new toys.

"She will love it" Dana said with a grin "Our gift is definitely not little Riley appropriate either, so we wanted to wait until she was big to give it to her."

"Makes sense," she said with a chuckle as the kids shrieked in delight as the remote control car took off in the opposite direction.

We watched the kids play for a little bit longer before Mike and Sheri decided it was time for them to head out.

"Is there anything we need to know about the kids?" I asked as they walked towards the front door.

"Jessica isn't allergic to bananas right?" Dana asked "we don't need a repeat."

"That is not funny!" Sheri said hitting her shoulder "that was terrifying."

"I mean it's a little funny now" Dana said holding her fingers together "morbidly funny?" she asked, looking at Mike.

"Not really" he said shaking his head with a smirk as Dana mumbled a sorry "Anyway. There isn't really anything you need to know. All of their stuff is in the giant suitcase. If you have any questions ask Jessica." He said turning to his wife who was giving one last goodbye to the kids before they walked out the door.

"Alright!" Dana said turning to 4 expectant faces with a grin "Who wants to build a fort?"

"I'll be in the kitchen" I said laughing as I heard all 5 of them laughing in the other room "doing the responsible stuff" I mumbled as I opened the fridge to start cooking dinner.

I know I am a SUPER slow updater, but this one was ridiculously slow...sooo sorry guys! but here ya go! Hope you like it!