chapter 5

Having to stand outside of Riley's room and listen to her cry as they took her x-rays was one of the hardest things I have had to do. When we were finally able to walk back in Hayden scooped Riley up and moved around the room until the small girl was completely silent in her arms.

"She's finally asleep." Hayden said gently laying Riley down and pulling the blanket over her. "and she wants a purple cast." She said with a small smile.

"Poor thing. That was terrible to listen to." I said pushing the palm of my hands into my eyes with my hands. "I just want to get that cast on and get her out of here."

It took one more minor melt down, one more dose of sleepy pain meds, and another hour before the doctor finally showed up x-rays and med cart in hand.

"Alright" The doctor said to Hayden and I (Riley was curled up in my lap fast asleep) "I'm sure it comes as no surprise to either of you that her arm is in fact broken. She has two broken bones in her right arm, a complete break in the Radius and a partial in the Ulna. Which is why the x-rays were so painful both bones kept rubbing against each other as we tried to position them. If you lay her on the bed we might be able to do this with her sleeping and once we get the cast on you guys can get out of here."

Thankfully Riley slept through the setting of her cast and Hayden and walked out of the ER with a sleeping Riley 45 minutes later.

"That was the longest night of my life." Hayden said buckling Riley into the backseat and hopping in the front. "What are we going to do with her? As much as I want to take her home with us that might be a little weird plus she needs her meds."

I sighed before I turned around and quietly said "Riley honey we're leaving the hospital where do you want to go? We would really like it if you came home with us, those pain meds made you really sleepy and we want to make sure you're safe. Can we do that?" She nodded her head before laying her head back on the window. "Wait baby, what about your medication do you have to take some of that tonight."

She nodded again before reaching into the side pocket of her backpack and pulling out and handing me a small zipper dinosaur case. When I opened it, there were a handful of pills stored inside. "Handy." I said to myself. "Which ones do you take when?" I said looking back to her only to find that she had fallen asleep on the window again.

"We will figure it out at home." Hayden said with a laugh "Let's just get her there. It's getting late and she's exhausted"

Once we got home Hayden grabbed Riley while I grabbed all of our bags. By the time I got inside Hayden was comparing Riley's medications to the list of medications she had shown her earlier in the day.

"It's a good thing I got this list earlier." Hayden said holding up her phone as she sorted out the pills. "Alright, these are the pills she has to take tonight, and these are the pills she has to take in the morning."

"This child sure takes a lot pills." I said with a whistle.

"Yes, well not all of these are for epilepsy." She said surprising me. "Can you open your eyes for just a second and take your meds for me sweat pea." I contemplated her statement as I watched her help Riley take her medications.

"What else does she have pills for?" for asked.

"there were one each for allergies, migraines, and anxiety." She said listing them off with a sigh.

"Allergies! Anxiety! What! What is she allergic too? How bad are her migraines?" I said.

"I'm going to pretend you didn't ask me questions that are impossible for me to answer. Seriously Dana I have no idea what she's allergic to it was one pill!"

"I think we need to go to bed. Lets put some pajama's on her and put her in the guest room closest to ours and call it a night." Hayden nodded her head in agreement as I picked up Riley and followed her upstairs.