With a shared glance they both stood. While Sheena was light of foot, Aonghus had to do so heavily, as the pain of the movement had stiffened him a little. Yet, with gritted teeth once more, he managed to stand and help Sheena to pull Boyd from the tent with a hand each under his arms. “There you go Boyd.” Aonghus had to let out a heavy breath before he could continue, patting the males rotund stomach as he did so. “I do believe I will be informing your wife that her cooking is too good for you, and you need to eat less of it.” The utterly forlorn look upon Boyd’s face caused a secret grin within both Sheena and Aonghus. For at such a time, Boyd could still look so mournful of something that at this moment may never come to pass if Douglas found them.

Aonghus furrowed his brow this time. Looking about. They were in the furthest tent. Or rather had been in the furthest tent. Now they stood behind it, near the tree line and facing the enormity of Douglas’ camp for the first time. He had never believed that the small groups they set out to capture for sheep rustling could belong to such a large, and obviously organised group. The idea was staggering.

Sheena brought him back to the present situation, with a tug upon his hand, and a small whisper to head for the trees. Picking up a lit torch from the dirt as she did so. He feared the light would attract those they did not wish to follow. But he knew her abilities at Warcraft and if she thought it was safe, then even as uneasy as he was about it, he would trust her judgement.

With Body leaning heavily upon him, and Aonghus not faring much better at that moment, Sheena was glad when the clearing she had stowed the horses in came into view. It had been a long night, and she was ready to collapse and sleep, but her mind rebelled as she knew that such sleep was a very long way off at that moment. Glancing back at Aonghus who looked at her with an expression of utter respect at her capabilities, she sent a smug smile back in his direction and then helped him to stagger over to the nearest horse with Boyd. Practically throwing the larger male over the other side of the horse, before they managed to catch the belt of his kilt and steady him upon its back.

Aonghus made sure he was steady before stepping back and surveying the other two horses. Turning to her with a raised eyebrow, as she just smiled in a way she hoped looked utterly serene. “These two seem to be the ones we rode here. Are you telling me Douglas just kept them with the others?”

Her smile grew until her face ached. “Nay, they were both too ornery to stay with the others, a bad influence I believe. My mare took it rather badly, being taken captive, and your beast took her lead. Only calming once I told them the plan.” He did not fully believe her, but that was alright, she was most assuredly making him think on how she managed to achieve all she had, especially after how he last saw her.

As his animal was closest he swung up into the saddle, cursing the swift move as he had to close his eyes for a moment and let out a long breath at the pain which coursed through him. Upon opening them, he thought to see Sheena ready to leave atop her mare. Instead she had moved to the edge of the clearing they had entered by and stood as if waiting for something. Had she gone mad? Why were they waiting? About to call out to her, he froze, hearing a rustle in the night. It was coming to fast and in such a clear direction he knew it was no animal. Yet it was too light to be any of Douglas’ men. Well, the ones he had seen so far anyway. So there was a possibility it was one of them, tensing, and his horse prancing beneath him as he felt his discomfort, he was about to bolt and snatch Sheena up as he passed. Only a tiny streak of shadow appeared and locked its arms tightly around Sheena’s waist, as she cupped its head and murmured a few soothing whispers to it. A surge of unexplainable jealousy rose within him. But as the torch light landed more fully on the small lad, it was whisked away in the breeze.

Sheena had a big heart, and he knew she could not leave a bairn behind in such circumstances. But they really did need to move, and move now. With a sharp whistle, Sheena glanced in his direction, and nodded once. Tugging the small arms from around her and clasping one hand in a strong grip. Tugging the lad in the direction of her mare. Passing Aonghus the flaming torch as she passed, so as to help the lad upon her mare, before swinging up behind him. As she pulled him close. Aonghus felt another jolt of jealousy, and gritted his teeth against it. For the time being he knew the lad was with them. Which meant he had to get over this as soon as possible. But at the first opportunity he would find the lad a good home. Because at this very moment all he could think about was getting Sheena alone in his cottage, and that did not include and imp of a bairn before he had even laid claim to the woman.

At Sheena’s nod he knew in which direction to ride, and digging his heels in he lead the way, torch held high to as to light the darkness. This small group was his responsibility and he would not let them down again.

****

Artair looked upon his closest brothers. With the most obvious exception being his actual blood brother. Looked upon their wives and bairn’s, and the men of the guard who served under him. He owed them an explanation for what he had agreed to, and in fact helped plan so that he was needed in such a way. Gathered in the main hall of the Keep, they all looked upon him expectantly, knowing what was coming and needed to understand why before they could give him their blessing.

Clearing his throat, he looked nervously at his feet. If he had a tale to tell of a bawdy wench and the fun they had had together, the words would already be tripping from his tongue. But this was too serious a matter. One that he could feel would irrevocably change who he was. And he was not entirely sure whether that was a good or bad thing. “I do not really know how to start. I know that most of you know of the disruption in mine and Aonghus’ relationship. And you have heard from Hamish and Kendrick that it was over a woman. Most of you laughed at this tale and I do not blame you for doing so. The twins fighting over a woman, it was not exactly a reason we had fought before. But this one…well she was special in ways even she was not aware of.”

He cleared his throat once more, still unable to look upon those he called family. “Nay, she is something we have not seen before, but special all the same. And when Aonghus returns you will all see the truth behind my words. This I promise you. But in the end, only one of us could have her,” he snorted a laugh at this, “that is of course if she would have either of us. And Aonghus was the one sent back to help her clan. Therefore we decided he was the one with the right to claim her if she so chose it. So that brings me to the reason we are gathered here now.”

Looking over at Hamish and Cam, who both knew what he was to say, he steeled himself. “I am leaving with Kendrick when the transport and items are ready for the trading. I am taking the place as MacKay negotiator within the convoy, and Kendrick has kindly said I will have a place amongst his ranks during the travel.” He nodded at a solemn looking Kendrick who nodded back just as slowly. “I will be back. I am not deserting the Mackay’s. I just need to find something…” he trailed off, not sure himself what he was truly looking for. Just knowing somewhere out there he would find it.