We're Here - Andrea

I hadn't made it in time

I was so close. But the Collector stabbed Nicholas before I could drive the chunk of metal through its back.

I let out a panicked yell as I hit the ground beside Nicholas. The fighting seemed to stop, everyone freezing where they were, waiting to see if the human was going to die. What would happen if he did?

I rolled Nicholas onto his back and pressed my hands down on the deep wound in his stomach. His eyes were foggy and his mouth opened and closed as he tried to speak. His hand grasped the air before finding my hand.

"It's ok Nico, your going to be ok. Can you move? Can you get to the ship?" I begged, tears streaming down my face, "don't you dare leave me, not now."

His hand clutches mine weakly and my body shook, this couldn't happen. It couldn't. He slowly pulled something out of it and pressed it into my palm.

It took me a moment to see through the blur of tears, but eventually, I recognized the small diamond necklace. I'd only seen it once before when Nicholas first arrived at the Collecting Point. It had been his mother's, passed down to his sister. He'd stolen it, being the troublesome teenager he was, he needed the money and had planned on selling it.

He never got to.

He had sworn to me, one day when he was free, he'd find his sister and return the necklace.

"No." The word caught in my throat, I knew what he wanted, "no, you give it to her yourself." He shook his head slowly, eyes starting to roll back.

He grabbed my hand weakly, a shaky finger tracing letters into my palm. I, L, O, V, E, Y,

He coughed, wheezing. His hand falling limply onto mine, never finishing what he wanted to say.

"I love you too, Nico please, I love you, get up." I started to panic, he wasn't moving, he wasn't breathing. I shook his shoulders, a scream bubbling up inside.

Someone get help.

But who could help, who would?

"Nicholas?" The voice started out a whisper, "Nicholas!" Estelle fell to her knees at my side, cupping Nicholas's face in her tiny hands. Her head tipped back and she let out the most agonizing scream I'd ever heard. It was like a shockwave was released when she yelled, her hair and wings turning a rich black when she did.

And at that moment, I saw the life leave Estelle's eyes, even though she was not dead.

No one expects an angel to set the world on fire, but she did. Leaping up and destroying all that stood in her path.

I was stunned for a moment, unable to cry or to move. The world which had once slowed down moved into overdrive.

A different ship was leaving. Other aliens were joining in on the fight. Estelle's screams still rang in my ears.