Voices - Max

They chained me to the wall after I almost tore skin from bones with a single touch

They chained me to the wall after I almost tore skin from bones with a single touch. I didn't mean to, I didn't even know what was happening to me. All I knew was my skin on theirs caused intense pain, for them. Even Cosmia, screaming when her hands touched mine.

I had seen horrors here. Felt confusion and pain, but there was nothing in comparison to this. I tried to stop it. The Collectors were evil creatures but I wasn't trying to hurt them. I didn't want to kill them. I didn't want to leave that monster laying motionless in the hall. I didn't know what was happening. They dragged me through halls I've never seen with thick gloves, careful not to touch me. Before we entered another wing of cells, most were empty. But a few held creatures that looked torn and empty.

Now, I sat on the floor in an empty cell, legs and arms chained to the wall, I felt just like them.

Broken. Alone. There was a black hole inside of my chest, sucking everything into it. My hopes, my humanity, my sanity, all gone.

Day 6, I scratched another mark in the wall with a piece of sharp rock I found on the ground. Six days in this deafening silence and excruciating thoughts in my head. They were the only voices I heard now. Other than the occasional mutters of others and cries of hunger. We'd only been given food the third day I was here.

Screams interrupted my thoughts, piercing like a knife through the silence. They weren't screams of pain or agony. They were screams of anger. A few days ago I would've jumped to my feet, worried for whoever it was. Today I pressed my palms to my ears and squeezed my eyelids shut, willing it to go away.

Screeching, chains, and the sound of a metal door slamming shut. All sounds that make my skin crawl and fingers pull at the roots of my red hair. When the thundering chorus of footsteps retreated I peeled my hands from my head and slowly opened my eyes. The cell across from me was no longer empty.

I assumed the creature was a girl, as its body looked similar to a humans. But her skin was covered in jagged lines and a deep red. Her mouth was too small and her eyes were too big. She wore a black outfit, one you would see a spy wear in a futuristic movie. She hissed, bearing sharp teeth before her skin rippled. Changing and twisting until the only thing left red on her body was her hair.

My eyes widened as I stared at the now human. What looked like my long lost sister. She tilted her head to the side, a sly smile spreading across her lips.

"I think black hair would suit you better." I muttered and in only a moment her long hair was black, "green eyes too, and change that nose. Don't make it crooked like mine." I laughed lightly when she changed her appearance as I suggested. It was the first time I'd laughed in a long time. "That's cool." I murmured.

She tugged violently on the chains, growling when she failed to pull free. I watched for a minute, transfixed by the wild movement. My eyes had been trained on four blank walls for what already seemed like an eternity, movement was strange.