Captured - Cosmia

The sunset on the waves

A fish on the line.
Saltwater on my lips.
Dads toothy grin.

The net that pulled it out of the water.
The knife I used to cut the net away.
It's hand as it pulled me back in.
The first time I was ever afraid in the water.
The first time I ever feared for my life.

All the things that flash across my eyelids every time I retreat to the dark. So instead I'll reach for the light... the light switch. As I flick it on there's multiple groans from my roommates, their voices creating a strange chorus of noises I've grown used to. It turns out the creature that pulled me from the boat saved my life, leaving my father's to the rocks that rested just under the surface.

At the age of twelve, they adopted me, taking me from my home on the sea to live in a home in the stars before coming to our current residence in an ocean of sand. I've learned much of their language, Norian. At least that's what I chose to call them, Norians, it sounded cool. A good name for aliens with scales for hair and razors for teeth. The type that can breathe underwater and survive almost any heat.

I pulled the small chest out from under my makeshift bed and rummaged through my few personal items. Grabbing a fresh set of clothes- which weren't actually clean- and my access key, I quickly got changed and waved goodbye to my roommates. Most had curled themselves back into tight balls as they lay together on the floor- they never understood my need for a bed. However, Yinetta was an early riser like me, already beginning to change her clothes.

Although Yinetta was one of my closest friends, I've never quite been able to pronounce her name like the Norians do. Same went for many of them, my vocal cords were not built the way theirs are.

I smoothly pull my visor over my eyes and wrap a cloth over my mouth. With one final check, I grab an empty backpack, gun and unlock the door. Wind howls in my face and I could almost feel the pellets of sand. The two suns were just peaking over the sandy hills, but it was already scorching. The rolling hills of sand remind me of the ocean I miss so much. The suns playing tricks on my eyes, water isn't something that we can find out here. I start out on my daily path, towards the suns, to the farthest wreckage.

We're scavengers. Collecting what one would call garbage and selling it someplace else. That's why the Norians found their way to Earth. Deep in the oceans is where treasures are found. Our findings are traded in for food and little is left for us to keep. I learned a long time ago that if I wanted to eat I needed wake early to have enough time to search what hasn't yet been picked through. And that meant the far ships. An hours walk away.

My feet dragged, already picturing the weight my bag would be on my way back home.

When did I start calling it home again?

I used to when Char was around. When I was trapped in the ship under the waters, no way to scavenge for food or supplies. He'd share his rations with me, saving my life just like when he pulled me from my father's boat. He made the ship my home. Building me a bed so I wasn't huddled cold on the hard ground. Being my friend in a time I didn't understand. But then he saved my life one too many times.