The Prophecy - Cosmia

I screamed for him, but I doubt he heard me

I screamed for him, but I doubt he heard me. I could've cried as they dragged him away and I worried I'd never see him again.

Ever since I'd seen his human face and red hair in that box, I had a strange feeling around him. A dangerous one. A feeling of home. Maybe it was because he's the first human contact I've had in years, or maybe it's just his kind nature. But whatever it was, I didn't want to lose it. Not for the third time.

I ran back to the cell, forgetting about the hunger I'd been so excited to end. However before I reached it, I spotted Nicholas. As much as he set me on edge, I didn't know what else to do.

"Nicholas! Help, they took Max. He knocked one of the guards out." I gasped for breath, my body still not recovered from whatever they injected me with.

"He what?" Nicholas looked genuinely shocked at my statement. It was a strange look on his face.

"He knocked a guard out cause it was hurting a mother and child." I swallowed, trying to talk without gasping, "but that's not the point, we have to help him somehow. They're not going to kill him, right?"

"He's got more in him than I gave him credit for." Nicholas laughed and brushed passed me to continue down the hall.

"Where are you goin-"

"Look, sweetheart," he paused and tucked a strand of hair that had fallen out of my ponytail behind my ear. I swatted his hand away. Anger making me clench my teeth. "He'll be fine. I'd gladly take his place, but then it wouldn't be a punishment... would it?"

"You'd take his place?" I said slowly. My frown turning from one of anger to one of confusion. Maybe Nicholas wasn't as bad as he let on.

"Defiantly. Maybe I'll go try knocking out a Collector, see if it gets me some attention." His grin was disturbing once again.

"Why... Why would you want that?"

"Because, darling, isn't it thrilling?" His eyes were wild, and that scared me. I took a small step backward, and he took one towards me. "All the pain, keeps you grounded, keeps you sane." I didn't think that was the case, quite the opposite actually. Nicholas didn't seem sane at all.

"Please, can't you just help me help Max?" My voice shook and I took a larger step back. My thin arms crossing my chest and fingers wrapping around my arms.

"Sure, I can help." He tipped his head, approaching me. The dreaded feeling I'd had for Max, turned into fear for myself. "Help you get used to this place. Show you the fun, and all the best parts of it."

I didn't think. My hand shot out and punched him in the nose like I'd seen Andrea do many times before. He laughed and I realized I gave him exactly what he was wanting. At least, until blood started to drip from his nose. He froze- mid-laugh. His hand reaching up and touching it gently. When he saw the red blood staining his fingertips his smile dropped completely.