Escape Plans - Cosmia

I remember Max being gone a long time, and worrying that something was wrong

I remember Max being gone a long time, and worrying that something was wrong. But it had been so late and I was so extremely tired. I do remember as my mind was shutting down and my eyelids seemed to be nailed shut, soft footsteps entering the room. Then, the worn piece of cloth being pulled up over my shoulders and a whispered goodnight. There was no strength in me to reply as everything drifted away.

Now, I woke up slowly. Lying on my back with my eyes closed. I listened to the soft chatter of Andrea and Max's conversation, sometimes Nicholas would throw in a sarcastic remark. Max was asking questions, I don't know about what exactly, I came late to the conversation.

I breathed in a sigh, wishing for fresh air, or even the dusty air of the Norian ship.

My eyes slowly pulled apart and I blinked, still not moving from my spot on the bed. Here, I could pretend that today wasn't going to be a horror story. I could curl up in my blanket and dream in a blissful sleep forever. But I guess that was too much to ask.

I stiffly sat up and stretched. Cracking my neck and back- finally feeling loose.

"Ew!" Max shuttered, staring at me with wide eyes.

"What?" I let a laugh out, cracking my fingers as well.

"Stop, stop, stop." Max covered his ears and Nicholas laughed, his eyes lazily looking around the room. I raised my hands in surrender and walked over, plopping myself onto Max's bed.

"What are we talking about?"

"Well, Max made some new friends last night. They asked him to join them, in trying to get out of here." Andrea explained, her joyful smile barely being contained.

"Which is ridiculous, no one gets out of here." Nicholas grinned as well, shaking his head.

"I don't know, what about the prophecy? This is what it could be talking about! This could be the downfall of the Collectors and we could be free." Andrea spoke with her hands, excitement radiating from her skin. Nicholas looked down at the word free.

"I've said it over and over again Andrea, it's not true. Start accepting that this is your life." Nicholas shook his head at her.

There was a crash and we all jumped.

Two figures appeared at our door. Short and stubby things, too much flesh on their bones. Long claws protruded from their fingers and their skin was a blotchy brown. They had no nose and a small mouth. However the biggest eyes ever. Bursting with colour and magic. But their eyes were also clouded with something else.

Fear.

They did not speak English, no surprise there. But Max looked shocked when they spoke.

"Now!?" Max gasped, "shouldn't we have planned! Prepared? Shouldn't you have let me know?" I put my head in my hands, these creatures better not be idiots.