The Beginning of The End - Andrea

The Collector forced his mouth open, pressing him against the wall

The Collector forced his mouth open, pressing him against the wall. Another approached, a knife in hand.

I wanted to free myself from these chains, help him, but I couldn't give myself away. I was the only chance of escape and I knew they wouldn't kill him, they were too scared of the prophecy.

"Any last words?" My eyes grew wider as Nicholas tried to talk in the tight grip it had of his face.

I had to turn away, it was too horrid to watch, even though I knew Nicholas couldn't feel it. Cosmia, however, let out a whimper and looked like she was about to gag.

"Next time we come back we better get answers, or we'll cut off more then a tongue." A Collector snapped as they retreated from the cage, locking us away once again.

No one spoke, I still couldn't make myself look at Nicholas. Cosmia was tightly covering her mouth with her hands, Max was still unconscious and Zillah looked completely undisturbed.

Slowly, I turned my head, stomach flipping as I did so.

Nicholas stared at the floor, an empty look on his face. His mouth hung open, blood poured from it. I could look at what was laying on the ground, what they cut off.

"Nico..." My voice was small, he jumped when I spoke. His eyes, I'd seen them this dark only a few times before. He tried to speak, but spit up blood instead.

He really would never speak again.

For almost a minute straight he violently pulled on his chains and let out gurgled cries until he had no energy left. He panted, blood still dripping down his chin.

I slowly reached over and lay my hand on his. He looked into my eyes so desperately. Mouth opening and closing, I forced myself to not look away.

"It's ok" I spoke without thinking, of course, it's not. "We'll fix this, we just, have to get out of here first. Can you do that?" Nicholas nodded slowly, wiping his mouth, only smearing the blood.

"Zillah, when can we leave?" I heard Cosmia ask.

"My guess is soon, usually there's a period of time where there are no guards. I just hope they keep that up." She answered Cosmia but when I looked up she was staring straight at me. Why was there so much pity in those eyes?

I was about to say something when Zillah leaped to her feet.

"They're gone, we must move fast before new guards return." She announced already tugging on her chains.

"Max is still unconscious!" Cosmia exclaimed, standing as well.

Nicholas made an odd noise, an attempt to speak, it sent a knife through my stomach when I looked at his broken face. He spit again, blood splattering the metal grates. I let all our chains fall to the ground and was surprised by how easily I was able to make them come apart.