Smile?

Will

"No Georgia! The buffet isn't open yet!" I yell over to Georgia whose hands were hovering over the plate of brownies. 

"No fair! Diana was eating some earlier!" She pouted, throwing her arms in the air in exasperation. 

I swivelled around on my feet to turn and face Diana who was looking in the corner of the room, her hands behind her back, whistling as though nothing were wrong. I cleared my throat, raising my eyebrows at her. "Diana? Do you have anything to say to me?" 

She began humming, "Nooo, I don't think so." 

Suddenly, Bash burst through the doors of Ben and Lizzy's apartment, red-faced and panting. "They're... they're coming!" 

We were all set into action, running around to gather up anything that would lead to suspicion that we were there. We ran around the side of the sofa facing away from the door, dunking down behind it. 

The door squeaked open, a few thuds sound as well as the roll of wheels on the wooden floor. I turned to Georgia, Diana and Bash, mouthing a countdown to them. 3, 2, 1. 

We jumped up, yelling 'surprise' at the top of our lungs. Grace stumbled back, smiling wide at the four of us. I wasn't sure if it was an 'I'm glad to see you' smile or a 'you're all crazy' smile, but seeing her smile was enough for me. 

She runs over to us, arms wide. We all hopped over the top of the sofa, running into a group hug. "You guys!" she squealed, "I'm so happy you're here." 

"We're just happy that you're here and not there," I said, releasing her from the hug. Her face immediately fell, I shouldn't have said that...

"I know what you're thinking Will," I jumped slightly, looking deep into her eyes, "I don't mind that you said that." 

I bit my lip, glancing down to her lips. I wanted to kiss her, just slightly, but not here in front of our friends and certainly not in front of Ben, who would probably murder me. I do have a feeling Liz and Josh would enjoy it. 

My eyes met Ben's, and it was almost as though he read my mind. Not now, he mouthed to me, She's too fragile. 

It was true, she was fragile. She'd been in that place for three mouths, shut off from society. The calls had stopped coming two months ago, even Josh hadn't heard anything. It wasn't until Liz got a call saying that she was ready to be released that she called us again. I could tell she had put a mask on - she's been lying since the moment she stopped calling. I can tell, something happened in there. Something she's not going to tell us, or something she's not allowed to tell us.  

"Will?" 

My head snapped up, once again catching Grace's eyes. "Yes?" 

"Did you make these?" She held up a box of brownies, her favourite flavour. I nodded. "I love these." She smiled at me, before turning back to begin gossiping with Georgia and Diana about what she had missed. 

I pray that smile is real.