Day 0 - 2.0

We slowly approached the pristine grounds that surrounded my former school. I didn't think I would ever come back here, I always hoped I would, but I've been known to dream. It hadn't changed one bit, the green grass was just as green as it had always been, the lawn cut to a precise length, the windows spotless of any smudges or fingerprints. It looked as if it were frozen in time. 

We walked up to the main office door, where -just like my first day 0- Mrs. Kelly was awaiting me in a pantsuit, only this time there was no student in a smart, scarlet uniform standing to her side. 

"Ahh, Miss Grace, how are you?" She asked with a bright smile extending an arm with an intent to shake my hand. 

I granted her wish and shook her hand whilst replying to her question, "I am very well thank you, how are you, Mrs. Kelly?" 

"I was very happy that you are back. Is this your new guardian, Mr. Burrage?" She inquired, smiling at Josh. 

"Yes, this is my new dad." Let's just say that Josh was at a loss for words over my last statement. He raised his eyebrows at first as though he thought he hadn't heard me properly, but then his signature goofy smile spread across his face and he went with it. 

"Yes, I'm her dad." He said breaking the sudden silence. He smiled down at me, and I returned the smile back to him as Mrs.Kelly asked us to follow her to her office. 

Truth be told, I hadn't actually been in there before, so it was a surprise to see such as modern office behind such an old door, in a building that must have been built before the declaration of independence was signed. 

It had big windows on the far side behind her transparent glass desk that allowed the sun to stream in from the large lawn that sat hidden behind the office. Everything was white, bringing a sense of purity to the office, I quite liked it. It felt less menacing as I entered. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, in fact, she had welcomed me back to the school with opened arms, but it made the knot in my stomach untie as I realize that she wasn't a dictator that many headteachers are perceived at. 

"Why don't you two take a seat," She said motioning to the chairs that sat on the opposite side of the desk to her as she took a seat in her own chair that was slightly bigger than our own, and had been embellished with a cushion. 

We gratefully took a seat seeing as Josh and I had walked a fair distance as my new home was significantly further away from my old one, with him...

"So, Miss Grace, how was the tour?" Mrs. Kelly asked genuinely intrigued in all the exciting times the tour had to offer. 

"It was a bit of a rollercoaster," I laughed nervously, not wanting to bring my brother back into the picture. 

"Ah yes, I do believe you got left at the service station," She chuckled, thankfully dodging the subject of the whole Thomas fiasco. That was one of the many wonderful things about Mrs. Kelly she knew what subjects to bring up and when and what topics not to bring up, yet she knew when to intrude for the safety and happiness of her student. She understood that I didn't want to talk about Thomas and she avoided it, she was rather like Albus Dumbledore if you ask me. If she were anyone else other than a toursie then she would have gone straight to the subject of Thomas, but she didn't and a huge wave of relief washed over me.

"I did, but it was my fault, I misjudged how long I had," I said, smirking at Josh who had slightly sunk down in his seat with embarrassment after recalling that day. 

"Well, onto other matters, here is your timetable. I believe you have all the same classes as a boy called William Carter, who just enrolled this year." She told me.