Stolen

I woke up on this Wednesday morning to shouts and hollers coming from the living room. I pulled back the covers, placing my feet on the cold ground, tuning into what was being said. I tiptoed to the door and pressed my ear to the door. 

"Josh please!" I heard Ben say, seemingly struggling with something. 

"Josh!" Pleaded Lizzy. 

"No!" Josh shouted. I was still completely baffled by what was going to until I opened my bedroom door. I poked my head out to see that Josh had Ben pinned to a wall, his hands around Ben's wrists that were placed on either side of his head. "You stole it! Give it back!"

Ben was continually shaking his head, attempting to reason with Josh. I rushed out of the room and stood behind the sofa, keeping my distance from the scene unfolding in front of me. Lizzy advanced forward and endeavored to release Ben from Josh's grasp. It was no use, she was flung to the floor by Josh's powerful arms. 

She quickly got back on her feet, noticing me for the first time. Neither Ben or Josh had noticed me, Josh was far to busy yelling at Ben about him having stolen something and Ben was busy trying not to be punched. Lizzy came over to me, grabbed me by the upper arm and led me to the kitchen. 

Still holding onto me as if it were for my protection, or to stop me from interfering she began to instruct me to find something. "You need to go into Josh's room and find his watch. Go!" She pushed my back, edging my on towards Josh's room. 

Not wanting to disobey her instructions, seeing as she looked more stressed than ever, I passed through the living room into Josh's bedroom. 

I looked everywhere for his watch. On top of his dresser, on his nightstand and under his bed. As I was shooting to and fro around his room, I was still completely baffled as to why Lizzy wanted me to find a watch. What does a watch have to do with Josh trying to beat Ben to a pulp? My head was spinning with all the possibilities. What would this do to Ben? I knew it would backtrack his progress considerably, his PTSD reminding him of the week he was in the clutch of Thomas. 

I flung Josh's wardrobe open and began rummaging through his wardrobe, looking for the watch. I checked his jean pockets, just in case he took it off and put it in his pocket, but I was out of luck in my search. I closed the door once more and gave the room one more look over for any hiding spots that the watch could be hidden in. 

Then I heard a loud smack coming from the living room, a smack that sounded just like the one Georgia had caused on opening night. I dashed into the living room to find Ben on his hands and knees, clutching his jaw as a bit of blood dampened his lips. Lizzy shrieked in reply as Josh kicked Ben in the stomach, causing Ben to roll onto his back and groan loudly. 

Then I spotted the watch. 

It was hidden away on the windowsill that Josh was sat reading yesterday, next to the framed picture of the four of us. I ran over to the other side of the room, knowing that Josh was out of control and every second counted. 

I picked up the watch as Josh boomed at Ben demanding he gave the watch back. I picked it up and raised it above my shoulder, before shouting out to catch Josh's attention. "Josh!"

His head spun around to me leaving Ben. "Give. It. Back. Theif!" He advanced towards me, angry flames enraged in his eyes, powering him on. 

I stood my ground, mustering all the courage I could because as odd as it felt - Josh terrified me. "No. I didn't steal it." This caught his attention. He stopped just a few footsteps from me, his eyes now extinguished. "You took it off, it was on the windowsill the entire time." 

He sucked in a breath, stumbling backward, his eyes now flicking to and fro as if he had no idea where he was as if he had lost all memory of what he did. He suddenly whipped his head around and spotted Lizzy hunched over Ben inspecting his face. 

Ben glanced up and saw Josh stumble back towards the sofa. He brushed Lizzy off and went to sit next to Josh. Lizzy came over to me and sent me to go get ready for school. I hurried off to go get changed into my uniform knowing that I shouldn't intervene. I trusted Lizzy and Ben that they would be able to help Josh with what had happened his morning. I still truely didn't undertand what had happened, was it linked with that day in the car? Or was this something caused by a blue moon? 

I collected my bags from the corner of my room, before heading out once more. I glanced over at the sofa where Ben and Josh were still sat, the only difference being Josh shaking with his tears as Ben hugged him - calming him. What was happening? 

Lizzy passed me a breakfast bar and pressed me out of the apartment. She didn't say a word in the car, she simply gripped the steering wheel tighter than she would normally, fixating her eyes on the road. 

I was still perplexed as to what had happened this morning. I've never seen Josh so angry and vulnerable at the same time - and for Ben not to seem the slightest bit bitter to Josh about being punched and kicked. I'm sure it's going to take a toll on Ben - I know it will. 

We pulled up outside of school and without a word, I got out of the car along with all my bags and passed through the school gates. I felt strangely numb, so disorientated about my wake up call that the voices that would once be loud and clear around me where just grumbles in the distance. The once potent points and laughing at me were now just red blurs as they passed me - my thoughts elsewhere. 

What is happening to my once perfect family?