Lamppost

In times of an identity crisis, you change your book titles. Also, thank you so much for 5K on my first book. It means so much to me! Anyway onto the chapter, Byeee! *Clap**Clap*

Ben

Demarius was frolicking around the dressing room, singing to Mamma Mia using a hairbrush as a microphone. The rest of us were filming it, laughing as he strode back and forth. The final beat struck, and Demarius dropped to the floor in the splits. The rest of us burst into applaud, our stomachs aching from the laughter. 

"Yo, that was brilliant!" Nikil exclaimed patting Demarius on the shoulder. 

"I know," he said pretending to flick hair behind his shoulder. 

I couldn't help but let a yawn escape from me, my eyes blinking a few times to keep myself awake. "Sorry, It's been a long day," I apologized. 

"No worries mate."

Since the show had been done and gone, I decided to call it a day and go home. I gathered up my belongings, making sure I had everything that I might need between now and the next time I enter the theatre. I gave my station one last glance and a tiny smile spread across my lips at the numerous polaroids of my family, Lizzy, Grace and the toursies. I always wanted to be around the best memories I have. There were pictures of Liz and I hugging as the snow fell behind us. The toursies and I at several dinners we've shared over the years. Ones of grace and I at the milkshake parlor. The memories that keep me whole. 

 I opened the door, only to have something hit my face, rather hard as well. I stumbled backward, holding my nose that began bleeding after the well-aimed blow. "Oh my gosh, Ben I am so sorry!" The voice belonged to Lizzy, and she began bustling over me, guiding me to my seat. 

"Why did you punch me?" I laughed looking up at her. She merely rolled her eyes, grabbing some tissues from a box and handing them to me. 

"I didn't mean to, I was going to knock on the door but you opened it, and I guess I just got used to knocking hard since you are all deaf." 

"What?" Curtis asked from the other side of the room perching his head up. 

"I told you," she said smirking. 

I took the tissue off my nose, observing the blood. I tossed it aside after the flow subsided, sniffing softly. Lizzy came and sat on my lap, wrapping her arms around my neck, staring into my eyes. Her eyes dug deep into my soul, a calming sensation washing over me in waves, each as strong as the others. 

"Why don't we go out?" I asked, smiling up at her. She pressed her forehead against mine, pecking my lips quickly. 

"Out?" she asked furrowing her eyebrows, yet smirking at the same time. It always drove me crazy when she did that, and she knew she had that effect too. And she enjoyed it. 

I kissed her again. "A moonlit walk, just you and me."

"Okay," she said, nodding her head, "I like that idea." 

She got up off of me and I began gathering things up. On our way out, she quickly poked her head into Taylor's dressing room. As she did so I texted someone, not wanting to pay attention to what was being said but after the conversation subsided, I slipped my phone into my pocket, before linking arms with her, and stepping out of the dressing room. 

And just like that, we were walking by the water, all by ourselves. New York bustling behind us, yet not disturbing us at the same time - our own little bubble. Our hands were intertwined, rocking between us as we walked in a peaceful silence. Snow fluttered down, settling on the top our heads, crunching underneath our shoes. I smiled down at her, giving a kiss on the cheek, squeezing her hand. She cocked her head slightly, something she always did that I found beautiful. 

"What?" I asked innocently. 

"I love you." 

"I love you too." 

She suddenly gasped and ran up to some ash railing, swinging around a lamppost of the same colour. She lifted herself up on the railing, hugging the pole still. Her smile was as wide as the Amazon river, a picture of pure beauty. 

I really did love Liz, the way she held herself. The way she wasn't afraid to be herself. We had kept our relationship to ourselves lately, just enjoying each other's company whether it be in bed cuddling, or on our weekly coffee dates. I loved every minute I spent with her. Always. 

So as Liz stared out into the water, smiling. I dug into my pocket and pulled something out. 

Then I dropped down one knee. 

"Liz," I announced getting her attention. She turned around and gasped. I cleared my throat and continued. "I love you, Liz. So much. And I have to ask you this question because if I don't then I might lose the one thing that matters to me most. You hold me together Liz. You make me feel safe, loved and treasured every day. So I want to do the same. For the rest of our life together. I want to marry you, Liz, because... because I love you. So, will you marry me, Liz?" 

I could only hear her breath, as she breathed out, mouth wide open. A single tear slipped down her face, before she made her way over to me, grabbing me by the collar and pulling me into a passionate kiss. 

I felt like I was spinning, the world freezing around me as we kissed. It felt so, so right. Everything was falling to place, my whole world forming into something that I couldn't comprehend. But I liked it. I really liked it. And I wouldn't change it for the world. 

"Yes." 

I smiled, kissing her nose. 

"I will marry you." 

We pulled each other into a hug, soaking at the moment. I quickly withdrew, Liz obviously upset by it because she whimpered extending her arms again. 

"No I need your warmth!" she complained. 

"Then I guess you don't want this?" I pulled out the ring that I bought so many months ago. I guess there was never the right time, but I knew if I waited any longer I might just implode - I loved her far too much to wait any longer. 

"Ooh shiny!" she cooed over the ring as I slid it on her finger. "Thank you, Ben." 

I kissed her hand, bowing down. She curtseyed, before wrapping her arms around my neck. I wrapped my arms around her waist as we began to sway from side to side. She nestled her head into my chest as we stayed like that for what felt like hours, taking in each others company. 

"Finally!" I voice erupted from behind us, Liz chuckled over my shoulder. 

I looked over and saw both Josh and Grace approaching us, Grace holding Josh's hand. I smiled at the cute scene, trying to stop the feeling that it won't last forever from overcoming how happy I was. 

Grace let go of Josh's hand and ran over to us, jumping into my arms. I lifted her up, becoming level with her toothy grin. "Hi," she said.

"Hi." I smiled. 

"What am I, dead meat?" Josh exclaimed throwing his arms up. 

"Well with the amount of bacon you eat..." Liz retorted. 

"Hey!" Josh said exasperatedly. 

"Oh I'm joking," she laughed hugging him, "It's nice to see you Joshy."

"Group hug!" Grace yelled. 

We all pulled into a giant hug, Grace still in my arms. We all put our foreheads together, taking in the silence that surrounded us. It was the best kind of silence, where everyone knows what is being said. 

Love. 

It was a night of love and a night that I'll never forget. For as long as I live, I will remember the three people who have made me, me.