XXIV. O F F L I M I T S

c a r m e n

Carmen stood in front of the full-length mirror in Merrik's bathroom, marveling at how clear her skin had become since moving away from Frank. Her blemishes had cleared up, her black eye had faded, and there were no more bruises on her body. It had been years since her body hadn't been marred, and it made her smile.

"Carmen?" Merrik called from outside the door. "Are you okay?"

She jumped slightly and stuck her head out the door, just so he could see her face. "I'm fine, just taming my hair," she said.

Merrik had been so careful and doting on her, always making sure she was okay and comfortable. It had been forever since someone else actually gave a shit.

His eyes traveled over her face, and he smiled. "Don't tame it too much. I love your curls." She flushed and nodded. "Okay. I'll be right out," she said, closing the door softly.

She slipped on her strapless bra and underwear and put on Merrik's bathrobe. Stepping out of the bathroom, she called his name. "Merrik? Do you want me to wear the red or purple dress?"

Merrik turned his eyes to her and roamed her robe-clad body. His eyebrows were knitted together.

"What I want you to wear and what you should wear are two very different things," he said.

Her skin warmed at his implication, but she wanted to press him to see what he would say. "Well, what is it you want me to wear?" she murmured, stepping toward him.

Merrik closed the distance between them, sliding his hands around her waist. He leaned into her until his lips were beside her ear.

"Nothing," he whispered, his breath sending goosebumps across her skin. It was a reminder that she was nearly naked beneath his robe, and it could be undone with just a pull of the waist tie.

Her breath caught in her throat and she ran her fingertips down his chest. "I'd like that too," she murmured, trailing her fingers to the tie at her waist, teasing at the knot.

It had been a few days since her panic attack in Merrik's bedroom. He hadn't pressured her any further about it, but it was still embarrassing. Merrik had been so sweet and patient, and she wanted to try again.

Carmen looked up at him through her eyelashes. He was so tall, and if she didn't know him, he would be downright scary.

But this was Merrik. Her attentive, gentle Merrik.

But then, he wasn't hers. She dropped her hands from the soft rope around her waist and bit her lip.

"What's going on in that beautiful head of yours?" Merrik asked, squeezing her waist slightly.

Carmen swallowed and licked her lips nervously. "I was just thinking about how sweet you've been since... well, since I freaked the hell out in your bed. And how easy it would've been for you to say, 'This girl is so not worth the effort.' But you didn't. And that means everything to me." Her face was pink as she stepped toward him, brushing his hair off his forehead. "You can't know how much it means to me."

"Carmen," he said. She loved when he said her name. "You have been through a traumatic experience. Hell, you lived a nightmare. I would not expect anyone to come out unscathed."

He took her hand in his and brought it to his lips. "I will be here as long as you allow me to be. I am completely in your hands." He emphasized his words with another kiss to her fingers.

Her heart soared at his words and lips on her skin. "I'll allow you to be," she whispered. She bit her lip and wished they didn't have to get ready for the dinner just yet. But she knew they couldn't be late. So she sighed happily and squeezed his hand once before letting go. "Okay, which dress? Red or purple?"