Advent Calendar - Dec 21

*Picture Source: https://comfort-n-joy.tumblr.com/post/180052354530*

Words: 691

"Which one?"

You groaned and stamped back into the kitchen, your heavy winter boots casting an unfamiliar sound on the floor tiles.

"The old, dented one," you explained, pulling a sauce pan from the cabinet, handing it to your husband Ray.

"Sorry, I never know with these things," he apologized, a shy smile on his lips, his brown locks framing his beautiful face.

"Don't worry," you whispered, kissing the tip of his nose before you grabbed his hand, turned around, and lead him back to the hallway, "let's get outside already!"

It was not the first snow of the season, but the first one that did not melt away immediately. You had been incredibly excited when you had gotten up and discovered that everything outside was covered in snow. Ray had been the one to suggest building a snowman in the front yard, so after breakfast you had grabbed a carrot, some sticks, and a few coals from the BBQ in the shed, and put on some warm clothes. Now that you even had a proper hat for your sculpture, you went to work.

In the beginning it was difficult. The snow would not stick together properly. You suggested that instead of rolling the balls around the yard to increase their size, you could just opt for a steep hill, but Ray opposed that idea, insisting on doing it the picture book way. It took longer in the beginning, but soon the two of you had formed an impressive ball.

After you had finished the first, you decided to make only one more as the head, instead of two more. The body was already very big, and if you would have made two more balls, it would have been very difficult to lift the head on top.

The second ball was a little smaller than the first, and together you lifted the heavy object on top of the other one. Who would have thought that snow could be so heavy? Ray held the head in place while you stuck snow to where the balls were meeting, fixing them together. After that all that was missing were the arms. Each of you formed an arm, a lengthy egg-like shape, which you helped each other to stick on the body.

"Hat," Ray remembered, and quickly retrieved the sauce pan with the carrot and the coals from next to the door.

He put the sauce pan on the snowman's head, and nudged it a bit to the side, so it would not look too perfect. When he was done, you stuck the carrot as the nose into the snowman's face, and did the same with coals as eyes and mouth, while Ray used the rest of the coals as buttons on the body.

When your work was done, you stepped back to take a look at your masterpiece.

"Wow, it's even uglier than I imagined," you laughed, realizing that the eyes were somewhat askew.

"It's beautiful," Ray disagreed.

He stepped next to you and took in the snowman, before he took off his scarf, and wrapped it around the snowman's neck.

When he noticed you raising your eyebrows at him, he lifted his hands up in defense.

"It was cold," he laughed, making you roll your eyes, a smile tucking at your lips.

"It's still hideous," you told Ray, but he only shrugged.

"Your beauty was too blinding for this household, it had to be balanced somehow," he told you, wrapping his arms around you and pulling you into a soft hug.

You took a deep breath, inhaling his familiar smell.

"You're impossible," you grinned, burying your nose in the warm fabric of his jacket.

"Let's go inside," Ray suggested, "I'm getting cold."

"That's what you get for lending stray snowmen your scarf," you laughed, clinging to his side as he started to walk back towards your front door.

"I didn't lend it my scarf, it was stolen," he exclaimed looking at you with wide eyes.

"Whatever you say," you grinned, at Ray, who quickly pressed his lips against yours, before he unlocked the door and pulled both of you inside into the warmth.