Andy Hurley x Reader - Beach Campfire

Requested on Tumblr
Word count: 2 121

When Andy had asked you to join him and his friends for a late campfire at the beach you had been uncertain. Yes, Andy was your friend and all his friends from the band seemed pretty nice, but you hardly knew them or their partners. Additionally to that, you were a shy person, not the one who would easily start a conversation. It took him almost twenty minutes until you finally gave in to his whining and agreed to join the group. If you could have chosen between the meeting with all the other people or a campfire alone, you would have definitely chosen the campfire alone, with Andy of course. You liked Andy. He was your friend. He was smart and funny. Talented. Caring. Loving. Adorable. Cute. Beautiful. Hot. Hell, if you could choose, you would choose to be more than friends with him, although you never admitted that to anyone, most of the time not even to yourself. Objectively you probably would even have a chance with him. He was always a flirt, intenting to make you blush, tickling you or poking your side, whenever you were not paying attention. Actually he even tried to encourage you to flirt back, without making it too obvious, of course, but you never noticed. Too caught up were you in the idea that someone as amazing as Andy would never like you in that way. Your shyness and the rejections from your past probably did not help either. So while you tried to keep a good friendship with Andy, thinking it could never turn into more, he desperately tried to do exactly that.

It was a hot day, even though it was only spring the temperatures were shooting through the roof. You had spent most of the day inside, keeping the roller shutter down and the house cool. You had been shopping in the morning and noticed how hot it was going to get. Sure the hot weather was a welcome change to the freezing temperatures from a few weeks ago, but it was supposed to be spring, not midsummer, right?

You had just finished packing your bag with vegan marshmallows and chocolate, some lemonade and a big blanket, when there was a honking outside your door. Quickly you took a look at yourself in the mirror. The light blue shorts and the bright red tank top made you look like summer instantly. You sighed quietly as you slipped into your shoes and grabbed the bag.

Outside Andy was waiting for you already. His window was lowered, music played through the speakers and he had his head poked outside.

"You ready?" He pushed his sunglasses into his hair before getting out of the car to give you a hug.

"I think so, yeah," you smiled. There was no need for him to know that in fact you were terribly anxious to meet three of his friends and their partners.

"Great," he smiled back at you and helped you put your bag in the trunk.

The ride took a little more than an hour, but the last miles were only small roads so Andy had to drive extra careful and slow. The music was gently playing in the background, as gentle as thrash-metal can be. Andy and you were discussing everything that came to mind, mostly catching up with each other, about everything that had happened since you had last seen each other. And you really were catching up on everything, after all you had been separated only for three days. You leant back in the soft car seat, relaxing in the hot wind in your hair, the familiar sound of the radio that always made you think of Andy and shot a sideway glance at him every now and then. His hair was shorter and darker than when you had met him for the first time. Now he wore a beard, ginger hair mixing with the first strands of grey. His blue eyes were fixed on the street as he carefully stirred the wheel. You sighed quietly again, it seemed to be s specialty of yours, and focused back on how Andy told you about what had happened in the supermarket the other day.

The first two cars you saw after more than twenty minutes were parked at the end of the street, if you could still call it that.

"Oh, Joe and Patrick must be here already," Andy commented and pulled up next to the cars. He turned off the motor but hesitated to get out. "They're all really cool people," he assured you. "Patrick is really shy himself, so he knows how you feel and the rest of the guys really don't want you to feel uncomfortable, so they'll probably do everything to make you feel at home."