Advent Calendar - Dec 16

*Picture Source: https://www.meinberg-shop.de/turnowsky-s-art-karten/weihnachten/merry-christmas/*

Words: 728

You put the fountain pen aside and shook your hurting hand, trying to get rid of the tension that had built up in your muscles from forcing your handwriting to be as neat and aesthetically appealing as possible for the last hour. Carefully you blew air on the slowly drying ink before you placed the Christmas card aside to all the other cards you had already written, and leant back into the chair, stretching your arms above your head. You tried not to get in the way of the camera which was clipped to the computer, filming the live stream Dallon had insisted on. Amused you watched how he pulled his tongue between his lips, concentrating on finding the right words to put on the cards. Writing Christmas cards was a real expenditure every year. Both Dallon and you had big families and everyone expected a handwritten card from you, so the weekend before Christmas was always spent with writing dozens of Christmas cards, each with individual text, considering especially your family loved to compare cards, and you remembered too vividly the drama that had occurred a few years ago, when the cards your cousin and your sister received contained the same text. It had been Dallon's idea to turn the whole thing into a live stream, even though you were unsure who would be bored enough to watch the two of you writing cards.

"What do I write to Aunt Marge," Dallon asked, looking up from the next card he had pulled in front of him.

"Write some honest Christmas wish... wait who is Aunt Marge?"

"She is like... ahm the aunt of my father. The second wife of my father's uncle," Dallon explained, but judging by the way he was furrowing his brows he was not certain either.

"I don't recall having met her," you mumbled, reaching for the next card, a silvery white one with glitter that immediately stuck to your hands.

"No, you haven't. She doesn't talk to the rest of the family anymore since Charlie divorced her."

"Then Chrisy is his third wife actually," you asked, while checking who was next on your list of card-receivers.

"His fourth, the third one was Louise, but she's in jail I think," he chuckled.

"Your family's weird," you giggled, glancing over at the camera before again shaking your hand and picking up the pen once more.

"Tell me about it," Dallon rolled his eyes, "Now what am I supposed to write?"

"How am I supposed to know, I've never even met her. And one should think that after being married for five years you finally would know each other's relatives. Why don't you ask the chat?"

"I don't know this Uncle Peter guy of yours either," Dallon realized, and took at a quick look at the chat that was displayed on the monitor.

You shrugged.

"Something honest... Dear aunt marge, merry Christmas, I hope you die next year so the world would be a better place?" Dallon suggested.

"Wow, you really love her," you giggled, starting to write the next card in beautifully curved letters.

"I hope you get a new personality for Christmas 'cause your old one sucks?"

"Better, but how about you try something like... I wish you a merry Christmas and a peaceful New Year, may all your hopes come true," you told him, while slowly writing the same sentence on the card in front of you, secretly hoping that Aunt Marge was not watching this stream.

"Ah, the old, innocent standard phrases," Dallon laughed, "you're right, I don't actually want to start a family feud."

"Wise words," you giggled, signing the card you had finished and put it aside, just like all the others before.

"Where would I be without you," Dallon sighed, not nearly making as much effort into writing neatly as you did.

"Writing only half as much cards," you winked at him, and he sighed in agreement.

"But having you by my side is worth it all," he confessed, looking at you with his crystal blue eyes.

"Ugh, cheesy," you joked, leaning over the table and placing a sweet kiss on his lips.

He smiled gently.

"That's why you married me," he reminded, and you shook your head with a smile, before reaching for the next card, ignoring the sudden outburst of 'aww's and 'so cute's in the chat.