Chapter XVIII: Every Step

Camila had finished filming the last scene. The crew wrapped it up and the project was put to an end. But it was merely the beginning. A lot of anticipation was built for this movie and everyone who worked on it couldn't wait for it to be out. It was gonna go for 2 hours and a half. The producers and people in charge of editing, decided to make it so that the viewers would be bored for a second during those long hours in the theater. The director and his assistant spent three exact months on editing.

The deadline was December 18, they wanted to release it the same date that the bombs fell to create the most realistic approach.

December came and Camila was wondering whether her choice of not attending ths premier was the right one. So many people congratulated her and many more asked her questions about her complete detachment from the project.

The cast were doing interviews with Lauren and talking about their experience shooting the movie and Lauren was always reserved...

She got asked in an interview whether she could describe the ending of the movie that no one had seen yet.
Lauren who didn't watch the last scene shot by camila alone, said "it's..."

"i guess it's NOT about the destination, but more about the ride. That's all i can say"

She was asked about the lesson that it leaves viewers with and Lauren answered "Many. Many lessons. It even taught me few lessons in real life, seeing that we always had to dive in this complex relationship of these two people. It puts things into perspective"

"where does Camila and Lauren stand today, in real life?" she was asked

"very separately happy and doing their own thing" Lauren smiled

...

Camila wasn't happy.
Lauren's last words kept replaying in her head and she was wondering repeatedly whether anything she gave up Lauren for was worth it.

There was so many small things but together, it was a lot. The crazy thing was she knew she loved her more than Cammy's character was ever able to show. The tears she shed for losing her would've been real.

Camila wanted to call, but she knew Lauren wasn't going to answer.

...

Nate, Mary, Raphy and Cammy reached the wide entrance of the wall. They found guards and heavy military arms protecting the gates. Raising their hands up, they were searched, interviewed and examed for any trace of virus.

Once they proved to be clean, they lowered their weapons.

"what's wrong with this one?" he asked the about Cammy

Mary looked at her friend, who had messy hair, tear traced and baggy red eyes. She didn't look like Cammy Carlos, the famous old singer who had a net worth of millions. She wanted to bury herself next to Luna and be done with her life, the only thing that dragged her here was to honor Luna's wish.

"she lost someone dear to her" Mary replied

"how" the soldier asked

Mary knew better than to mention the virus, she whispered to the soldier so Cammy wouldn't hear... "suicide"

"Shame. You guys can go ahead. There will be a bus to pick you after you cross to the land of the living." the soldier said

Once the squad walked in they finally notice more than a thousand survivor being held at the gates and examined. They were wondering where all the people went all the way here. Well there they are. Being hurried like cattle into quarantine areas, examined thoroughly for sickness, and allowed inside Canada.

They saw few sick people being rejected and taken away. The soldiers were shooting them on site, there were cries and yells from people and the men in arms kept the order with fear. Cammy shivered and jumped at the sound of bullets, she was reminded that this is what was going to happen to Luna if she came along.

These men were shooting sick innocent poeple. She finally saw the innocence and humanity behind the infected as Luna saw; and just like Luna, she was on a verge of a panic attack.

"we'll be given a brand new life. Things will work out" Nate assures Raphy and held his hand, Cammy took notice and closed her eyes, lowered her head. She placed her hand above her heart, so it would stop drumming.

Her hand fell on the pendant Luna made. The healing protective crystals.

After they crossed, they were surprised to see a village so full of life and people. People without masks or worry. Cammy couldn't take this. She couldn't.

At the last moment she turned away and ran back into the US land. She ran full speed towards the place where the buried Luna.

Mary started to follow her.
Nate and Raphy stopped their friend
"just let her go, let her go"