Chpt. 6: Patrol With the Most

Start from the beginning

"I can't take this silence." I threw my arms in the air in frustration.

"Um, okay, let's start a conversation?" Daric responds awkwardly.

"Yep, it's just that easy. You say 'let us converse' and then a conversation blossoms." I roll my eyes.

"Well, there's more to it than just that." Daric laughs.

I cross my arms. "Oh yeah, and what do you do?"

Daric shrugs. "You ask questions."

"Yep, I bet you know all the tricks to the trade." I grumble, but cringe just after. Why did I have to go there? Why did I have to think about how much of a player he is?

"Not really," he says like nothing.

Now I'm angry. Really? He just uses girls without knowing anything about them? I guess that makes it easier to use someone, not seeing them as much. And, trust me. Those are the worst guys. "So you just sleep with girls and throw them out? You don't talk with them at all?"

"What?" He stops and looks at me with shock.

I stop with him. "You said you don't know a lot about starting conversations, but you have lots of fun with a ton of girls. Clearly that means you don't talk with them."

Daric runs a hand down his face and curses. Is someone mad that they were caught?

"It's not what you think." He looks at me with pleading eyes.

"How could I not understand? Even I know about all the girls you've been with, and I know nothing about the social life of anyone but my friends'. And I've been away for years."

He sighs. "I mean, I didn't talk with the girls that I... made out with in between classes and all that. They just came up to me and practically threw themselves at my lips-"

I snort. "Well, aren't you lucky, you don't even need to talk to them for some chick to go to bed with you."

He's starting to look frustrated. "Would you stop putting words in my mouth! I didn't say that they slept with me! It's just when I decide to play hooky from thing some girl always finds me, and we lock lips. That's it."

"Oh poor you young male. No guy would want to easily get girls to make out with when they have nothing to do, and girls falling at the door step every day to sleep with."

"Stop that!" He shouts exasperated. "I haven't slept with as many people as they say. Most girls just say they have slept with me."

I roll my eyes. "So you're saying you haven't slept with half of the young female adult population in this town?"

"Yes!"

I raise and eyebrow. "How many is it, then?"

He is quiet for a minute looking at me. What? Has he lost count and needs to look back to recount?

Finally, he speaks. "Still too many for me not be ashamed to tell you," he says just above a whisper. He then turns and continues on our patrol route.

I huff and follow him for the rest of patrol. Meanwhile, I keep thinking about his words. Both from today: ... too many for me not to be ashamed.. And from the other day: ...I'm sorry... that I'm your mate.

What is trying to get at? Does he actually care? No, he can't. I mean, he wanted to reject me, and he was making out with other girls for a few days.

You did say you would give him a week. Sophie mentions. That some guys regret it by then.

So? I ask.