define it · hwang hyunjin

◦ genre: best friends to lovers au, fluff

◦ pairings: reader x hyunjin

◦ word count: 7.8k

◦ description: when your best friend from college stays with you over winter break, you catch yourself standing in the gray area between friends and more than friends.

◦ warnings: explicit language & mentions of alcohol

O N E

Hyunjin's just finished with his physics final, and you receive an obligatory bragging text from him seconds later. But you're not going to check it because you're currently cramming the last scene of Doctor Faustus in your head.

You love last minute studying because you didn't see the point in studying days before, swallowing up gallons of information only to rehearse key points in your sleep over and over and over again. It kills a good night's sleep, you think, and that's why many of the smart kids in your class treat finals like it's a life or death situation. It totally is, just not to that extent.

Your phone vibrates obnoxiously on your nightstand, and you groan, not wanting to get up from your desk. You specifically told Hyunjin not to call you when you're studying, but like always, he never seems to listen.

Deciding to reward yourself for reading five whole pages without skipping a single song on Spotify, you let yourself fall onto your bed, the pillows crushing beneath your weight. You slide your thumb across the screen of your cell phone and put him on speaker. Normally, you'd mumble "wait" four times before grabbing your earphones and then taking an extra five minutes to untangle them, but today, your roommate's not home.

"What do you want?" you ask, your left cheek pressed against the side of your pillow, and your words are slightly slurred.

"You're so rude," he huffs, and you know he's driving because his voice sounds out of focus and far away. "I got you boba because I filled up my stamp card, so they gave me a free drink."

Hyunjin lives off boba because he's convinced that if he goes to the gym enough, he won't become a boba. He orders his usual winter melon milk tea with half sugar and less ice, and he drinks it so often that his dietitian is probably crying himself to sleep every night.

"But I'm studying, " you say, laziness holding you hostage on your bed. "I don't want to reward myself until I'm done. Must be nice to be done with finals, you little fucker. When's your flight? Tonight?"

"My family's on a cruise without me because if they start it my finals week, they get a discount or something. Usually, they wouldn't go, but my aunt's visiting for the first time in ten years. It's fine really. I can just crash at my apartment and binge watch Christmas movies or something," he casually shrugs it off. He knows better than to hold a grudge over something so little.

Hyunjin doesn't think much of it, but you're ticked off because no one should be spending Christmas alone, especially not a person like Hyunjin. He's one of the most important people in your life, and he deserves the absolute best, nothing less of it.

"No. You're gonna crash at my house and binge watch Christmas movies with me and drink hot chocolate until you're sick of it," you tell him as you roll onto your back, using your arm as a pillow.

"I don't think so, Y/N," he laughs it off simply. "I'm not sure if your parents would like a random kid intruding your little family get-together."

You sit up on your bed, a frown adoring your features. Hyunjin's too courteous. "Are you kidding me? My parents are in love with you. Like literally, they love you. They think that the best decision I've made in college was meeting you. If they had a chance to redo their life decisions, they'd give birth to a child like you," you say in response.