baby steps • yang jeongin

11/04/17

"I'm not late, I'm not late, I swear I'm not late," you hummed to yourself and hurriedly rushed to the front door. You put on your black converse and threw on your backpack. Oh right. Breakfast. Keeping in mind not to dirty the floors, you tiptoed back to the kitchen and grabbed a piece of bread. Eh, this will suffice.

The bus was leaving in two minutes so you quickly ran to the bus stop. Your hair was a complete mess thanks to the wind, but at this point, you could care less. Luckily, the bus driver gave you mercy and made sure you boarded it before taking off.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Kim," you politely thanked him. You lived in a relatively small town, so everyone knew each other.

Mr. Kim smiled back at you, "No problem. Wake up on time next time. Kids these days. Always on their phones."

"Will do," you laughed.You looked around the bus but all the seats were packed. The only option left was the railings. That's what you get for waking up late, loser.

Jeongin saw you walking towards the empty rail and waved at you happily.

"Hey what's up? Did you wake up late again?" he asked, making room for you to stand next to him.

"Shhhh, that's not the point. The point is that I finished my paper in time," you congratulated yourself for procrastinating. In your defense, the teacher only gave you one week to work on it. And one week was not enough for a ten page essay. Uh uh, just no.

Jeongin smirked, "I finished it two days ago."

"You can't compare me to you. You're an A student. Whereas I, have always been an average C student. Occasionally B," you playfully shoved his shoulder. Jeongin was always a little nerd. He may not seem like it, but deep down. He's a bookworm.

"You're just not trying enough. You could be so much better if-" the bus jerked back and Jeongin lost his train of thought.

Your hands slipped from the railing, and you bumped into something. More like someone. You felt a hand on your waist, steadying you from the rocking bus. Jeongin cleared his throat and helped you regain your balance.

"I'm so sorry. My hand slipped. Did I hurt you?" you glanced, scanning his body for injuries.

Jeongin's face had a tinge of pink to his cheeks. How cute. I must have scared him.

"No no, I'm fine. You're the one who slipped. Are you okay?"

"Yea, I'm fine. This happens a lot. You know, I'm clumsy."

~

12/13/17

Jeongin walked out of his last class and stretched. Finally, the last day of school. And then BREAK! Hello video games. Goodbye homework.

As the boy approached his locker, he spotted Y/n laughing with a couple friends. He looked away shyly and pretended to organize his locker.

You saw him from afar and bid your friends goodbye. Sneakily, you walked up behind him and tapped his shoulder.

"Boo!" you whispered, making the poor boy jump and drop his books. Immediately you felt bad for scaring your friend and bent down to help him pick up his books.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"Haha, d-don't worry. You just startled me, that's all," he stuttered as he began picking up the books that fell out of his hands.

"You like Rick Riordan? you picked up the book.

"Yea, I read him a bit."

"How do you feel about his new books?"

"Y/n. Come on. Nothing compares with the Percy Jackson series."

"I like you. You know your shit," you handed him the book. Jeongin looked down a little and blushed.

"Thanks."

"So what are you planning to do over break?" you brushed your pants and stood up.

Jeongin started shoving his books back into his locker. "Not much. Probably just gonna hang out with my friends and lounge at home? You?"

"I'm gonna sleep," you smiled dreamily at Jeongin.

He laughed at your face, "Just sleep?"

"No, and eat," you stated. Your face was serious, although you were just joking.

Jeongin hesitated for a while before he spoke. "Hey, do you want to hang during break?" he rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"Hmmm...let me think about it. Yes!"

~

1/1/18

"Happy New Years Sunshine Boy!" you greeted Jeongin happily with a quick hug.

"Happy New Years! How was your break so far?" he hugged you back.

"Very relaxing," you said as you walking in the amusement park. The both of you decided to go to the amusement park to hang out. It was the New Years and the tickets were less expensive than usual. You wanted to go on the biggest, scariest rides in the park, but you didn't know how Jeongin felt about them.

"Do you like roller coasters? you asked with concern.

Jeongin thought for a while and replied, "I mean as long as they don't spin around like crazy and make me dizzy. I'm okay with them."

"Good enough for me," you dragged him to the nearest ride.

~

Present day

Ever since that day at the amusement park, the two of you have gotten a lot closer. Jeongin opened up to you more, and you saw less and less of his shy demeanor. He was a complete dork who hated cheesy things, a neat freak, and a trot lover. There weren't many boys his age who could sing all the trot songs by heart at karaoke.

At the same time, Jeongin saw a different side of you. You were so much more interesting than he originally thought. Although you enjoyed mundane things like eating and sleeping, you were much more lively as he got to know you. You hated horror movies, and you couldn't sleep without your stuffed bear. Jeongin also noticed how you liked three cubes of sugar in your coffee, and your notes labelled a certain way because you were just that OCD. Little things like this made him fall for you even more.

It was the start of a new semester. Jeongin spotted you walking to class. You were dressed in an over-sized sweater and your comfortable black converse. He loved how you looked effortlessly beautiful.

You waved at Jeongin as soon as you saw him. He shyly waved back. Jeongin's heart raced as you approached him with a bright smile.

"Hey I missed you," you playfully punched his shoulder, "Why did you ignore my messages?"

He looked confused for a second, "I did? I swore I had my phone on me." The kid frantically turned on his phone. And there they were. A whole ten of your messages.

"I thought you may have found me annoying or something."

"No no no. My phone didn't display your messages for some reason," he continuously waved his hands to signify that he wasn't annoyed by you.

"How could I ever be annoyed at you?" Jeongin said. You looked at him weirdly.

"What do you mean?"

"Uhhhhh."

"Spill."

"Y/n. I kinda like you. Look it's okay if you don't. We can still be friends," he quickly said. Out of nervousness, he began shifting his foot from side to side. You looked at Jeongin for a second and finally processed what he said. You grinned ear to ear.

"You're so cute when you're a blushing mess."

"It's almost time for class, we should get going-"

"Let me finish," you interrupted, "Hey, I like you too."

The boy looked like he was going to barf up rainbows. And of course, you felt the same way.