treat you better • kim seungmin

“I think you look better with make-up on.”

Excuse me?

“But you said makeup was too cakey on me, and you preferred the natural look,” you questioned your boyfriend.

“Yeah, I said to go for a more natural look, as in natural makeup. You know, like that chick over there. She’s hot,” he winked at her.

You were baffled. He was your boyfriend, yet he was flirting with other girls in front of you. To be honest, he wasn’t the best boyfriend anyone could wish for. He was late to dates, hung out with the wrong crowd of people, and he made you feel insecure about yourself. Although you put up a tough facade whenever you were with him and acted like everything was fine when he deprecated you, your heart was aching on the inside. You constantly asked yourself “Why am I so ugly? So unlikable? So useless?” At one point he made you feel so self-conscious that you considered breaking up with him. However, he pulled you back, whispering sweet words in your ears and hugging you soothingly. You were smitten all over again. 

“Okay, I’ll keep that in mind,” you smiled fakely.

“Oh yeah. The boys and I are having a dude’s night out. So I’m gonna push our date back a day. Is that alright with you?” he said, swinging an arm roughly around your shoulders.

You sighed under your breath, “Of course, go have fun with them.”

“Cool babe,” he kissed your cheek.

Yeah, cool.

~

You waved your hand at Seungmin brightly, motioning him to sit next to you. He quickly walked towards you with a pile of books in his arms and plopped them on the desk.

“So, I’ve been studying all week for the final, and I think I’m confident that I’m gonna ace it this time,” he sat down next to you, arranging the books in the order of his schedule.

You laughed at your friend’s preppiness, “When do you not do well on exams? You’re legit the top five percent in our school.” He was indeed very smart. Seungmin wasn’t one of those kids who were born brilliant. He actually had to work hard to improve his grades, but in the end, he efforts always paid off.

“Same with you. You always get good grades as well. What’s your secret?” he leaned closer towards you.

You shifted closer and whispered, “Not telling you.”

Suddenly, a loud hand slammed onto your desk, making you jolt.

“Why are you flirting with another guy?” your boyfriend questioned loudly. The whole class stared over to see what all the commotion was.

You gave him a judging look, “I was telling him something. I wasn’t flirting with him.” Your boyfriend was being freaking ridiculous. 

He says I’m flirting when he was the one winking at that chick down the hallway. What a fucking joke.

“I saw you with him. You guys were laughing and flirting with one another. Don’t think I didn’t see that,” he claimed, glaring at you and Seungmin.

“You know what? I’m sick of this, and I’m sick of you,” you grabbed your bag and walked out of the classroom. You ran into the girl’s bathroom and locked yourself in one of the stalls.

You put down the toilet cover and sat on it, letting the tears flow. This wasn’t the first time the both of you had gotten into an argument. It was a repeating cycle. You guys fight, he apologizes, and you forgive him.