caramel macchiato • kim seungmin

chubs: come out, i’m here!

y/n: coming!

I grabbed my little black purse and ran downstairs to my boyfriend, who was waiting outside. I took a small glance out the window and saw Seungmin. He was wearing a blue patterned shirt over a crisp white shirt. He styled his hair naturally and wore dark Vans. I smiled at his effortless everyday look. Quickly, I put on my brown boots and walked out the door.

“Why are you holding an umbrella?” you questioned the boy skeptically. It was a sunny day. Why the hell was he holding an umbrella?

“It’s gonna rain later. Trust,” he looked up, only to be blinded my the rays of sunlight. He lifted his arm to block the sun.

I raised my brows, “Hmmm, whatever floats your boat.” I walked towards him and reached for his hand. Seungmin intertwined his fingers with mine. 

“Same coffee shop around the corner?” he asked while walking, swinging my hands back and forth.

“Always,” I giggled.

~

I stared attentively at his cup of coffee. 

“What? Are you judging me?” he squinted his right eye at me. 

“Huh? No. I was wondering why you always order a caramel macchiato. Why not an americano, or a latte?” I asked, sipping on my own cappuccino. 

“Okay, so why do you did you get a cappuccino?” he lightly interrogated.

I thought for a moment, then replied, “Well, I got a latte yesterday?”

Seungmin laughed at my lame answer, “No Y/n, I meant what do you like about the taste?”

“Oh haha, I like the frothiness of the cream, not milk. And the added touch of cinnamon. It really compliments the espresso,” I thoroughly explained.

Seungmin took a sip of his caramel macchiato. I laughed at his expression.

“What are you possibly thinking about?” I smiled at him. He was such a little dork. 

He smacked his lips together and looked directly across the table at me.

“I ordered the caramel macchiato because all you taste at first is bitter espresso. But as you continue drinking, it gets sweeter and sweeter. Finally in the end, you’re left with nothing but vanilla milk and caramel sauce,” he described the taste explicitly. 

I thought for a while, processing his words. I propped my head with one of my hands and realized something.

“Metaphorically speaking, a caramel macchiato could be compared to life in general. You go through many hardships and obstacles. However, in the end, you’ll get rewarded. Whether it be a raise or an accomplishment of some sort of self-determined goal,” I translated. 

Seungmin nodded enthusiastically, “Yea, you could definitely think of it in that way. Wow, Y/n. You’re so philosophical today.”

“What can I say? You’ve rubbed off on me,” I replied truthfully. He reached over the table to hold my hand. It was little moments like this which made me fall for him even more. Seungmin was introduced to me through a mutual friend. When I first met him, he was a shy bean. At the same time, he was always smiling. Although we weren’t exactly close, he made an effort to make my day brighter. Day by day, I knew more and more about him. Even till this day, he never fails to make me smile.

“You know, you’re like a caramel macchiato,” Seungmin stated.

“How so?”

“When I first met you, you were quiet and never initiated conversations,” he started. I chuckled, because it was true.

He continued, “But as I got to know you, I learned how down to earth you were. Remember when we watched Coco? You legit sobbed on my shoulder when Miguel started singing.”

“Shhhhh, we do not speak of that,” I shushed him. 

“In other words, you were hard to approach at first. However, under that facade..” he wagged his finger at me, “ you’re kinda cute.”

“Kim Seungmin. You suck at flirting.”

~

I walked out the cafe and stuck my hands out. To my dismay, it was indeed raining.

“What did I say? Who didn’t believe me?” Seungmin said cockily.

I pursed my lips together, “Gee, I wonder who said that? No clue.”

“Come on. Let’s go,” he opened his black umbrella. It was perfect for the two of us. I held onto his arm that was holding the umbrella.

“Hey if we ever get married, can I be the working mom and you be the stay at home dad?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Why?”

“I feel like I’d lose the kids.”