Chapter 49 | The Enemy.

- Lizzy's POV -

I knew this feeling all too well, being drugged wasn't new to me, and I didn't always mind it when I knew one of Steve's crew wanted to do have their way with me, the sedative kind of felt like an absence. A shield. But not in front of her, she was my shield. I hated how I could formulate thoughts but had no means to articulate them.

"Lizzy, can you hear me?" She asked, frantic. I felt so guilty, I could hear her, I just couldn't let her know.

I watched through blurry eyes as she stood up and reached for her phone, "I'm calling the police." She stated.

"Do what you like, Marina, they'll have no way of knowing I was ever here." He chimed, standing up whilst flattening the creases in his trousers with the palms of his hands.

Marina stood, dumbfounded, as he left the apartment, a harsh slam of the door as he did so, I felt myself drift off entirely.

Eventually, I came around, the memories of the evening earlier were blurry, I looked up. I saw her, sleeping besides me on the sofa, resting her angelic face against the back of the cushion. I ran my hand along her arm to let her know I was awake. Her eyes shot open.

"Babe, are you okay!?" She asked, sitting up instantly, lifting my chin with her index finger.

"I'm okay." I whispered, stretching as it felt I'd been asleep for years.

"This is all going to be over for us, soon, I've got it." She said, instantly. I frowned, confused by what she could've meant.

"How?" I pressed, I didn't want to seem as if I didn't believe her, it wasn't her that I didn't believe; it was the idea that Steve's torture had any end.

"The CCTV outside our door, Steve thinks we haven't a trace that he was ever here. Well, we have. We need to get down to the station as soon as we can." She said, filling me in on the details of how she came to this realisation.

"I still committed fraud." I stated, sullenly.

"And he committed a lot of foul play for it to get to the point where you had no choice? Trust me, babe. It'll soon be over." She assured, running her fingers through my tangled locks.

"Thank you for the statements. We will be in touch very soon." The officer said, nodding at us as she let us out of the front door of the station.

We nodded in synchrony before exiting, and making our way down the road in the direction of our apartment.

"I'm recording tomorrow." Marina said, a twang of guilt in her voice.

"Tomorrow? Wow, that came around quick." I responded, feeling her arm interlink with my own.

"Didn't it just! Then I've got 5 more slots, Andy reckons we should be done by then." She continued to explain. 

"Who's Andy?" I queried, taken aback by this new name that had suddenly appeared on her radar.

"The recording director." She explained, I couldn't help but notice the way she informed me, it felt as if she expected me to know everything she spoke of.

"Forgive me for not knowing!" I said, aware of just how bitter I sounded. Hiding my dismay was becoming tiring.

"Have you got a problem with this?" She asked, honestly.

"With what?" I queried.

"With all of it. With my album." She said.

I felt my heart pang. "No." I lied. "Of course not." I deepened.

"Really? Because it seems that way. Every time I mention it you tense up. How do you expect us to live without a living? You should be happy for me, you're my girlfriend." She said as we approached the traffic lights.

"It's hard to be happy for the enemy." I let slip, immediately regretting it.

"The enemy?" She repeated, spitting it as if it was poison to her lips. She stood at the crossing at looked at me.

I let an exasperated sigh. "Put yourself in my shoes, Marina." I said. "I have the same dream as you, yet you're the only one that actually gets to live it." I continued, shaking my head before we crossed the road.

We reached our apartment, silence carrying the words we daren't say to one another.

"It'll be worth the wait." She said, shattering the silence.

"Will it?" I asked, pressing my palms against our breakfast bar as I stretched. "I worked so hard, sorry if I can't help but let jealousy get the best in me sometimes." I justified.

"And I didn't?" Marina asked, frustration in her tone.

I rolled my eyes, I could feel myself bubbling to say something I was going to regret.

I tried to stop myself. I desperately tried to bite my tongue.

"You made me leave Steve's label." I accused, regret filling my lungs as soon as the words escaped my lips.