chapter thirty-four

He shut the door behind him and then took a deep breath, immediately flipping the light switch on and then walking through the loft in search of his boyfriend. The only logical place to go to was his bedroom, but the be sure he made sure to check the kitchen and every other room first before heading to their room. Maybe he was stalling, but he still didn't even know what he was supposed to say.

He hates feeling like this, like he's useless because he doesn't know what to do. Before Luke, Ashton never had to worry about apologizing for being the way he was because if it was worth going out of his way to say sorry for, it really wasn't worth salvaging to him. He never truly fucked up with anyone important to him the same way he was with Luke. He was too closed off to imagine someone wanting him after he messed up, and that part of him is screaming as he walked up the stairs to the master bedroom.

When he opened the door he found the bed empty, still made from the morning and only wrinkled beside the dresser where Luke kept his socks and laptop. The room smelled or cologne, but not the one he usually wore. It was the one he wore to parties and clubs, a smell that lulled one in like prey and made their eyes search for the sweet aroma. He was searching for attention, and now Ashton regrets leaving in the first place.

Of course he had to leave when Luke was vulnerable. Of course, he had to be selfish and run away when Luke needed him.

He didn't bother with a coat. He didn't bother with his phone. He just grabbed his car keys off the bowl by the bedside and then bolted out of his room with intent.

Intentions to bring Luke home and apologize for his habitual mistake of leaving. Intentions to explain just why he and his ex broke up. Intentions to make sure Luke doesn't do anything stupid the way he knows he would if he got mad and drunk.

-

The club was filled tonight, and if he had a dollar for every blond head of hair he's seen then he'd have enough to shut the place down. Leather and black jeans were everywhere, on the backs of pierced and tatted men without shirts and on the bottoms of girls with hair dyed every color the human eye can visibly comprehend. No one looked familiar, and if they did then he didn't care because it wasn't them he was looking for. Their small talk wasn't on his agenda.

He dug his way through hands and bodies, some hands tugged on his belt loops to pull him close and others slid across his waist to feel on his stomach. His skin was crawling, and it felt like everyone's eyes were on him even though he knew they had better things to do than watch him. Nails dug into his forearm when they really didn't want him to leave, and he turned to face the man who was smirking at him.

It wasn't Luke. He didn't matter.

He yanked his arm from his grip and then made his way to the bar, lit up neon blue and green as bartenders did tricks with bottles for an extra tip. He saw an almost familiar head of hair, greasy, wavy locks with fingers tangled into them. Black bails poked through the thick blond and he felt like he was walking through his worst Hell just to approach him — hands gripped his body, eyelashes were batted pretty up at him, lips curling into suggestive smiles, everything that made him feel small and trapped.

But Luke was right there, sitting on a red stool as someone set a hand on top of his and gave him a million dollar grin. Luke was feet away with his eyes trained on the man as the stranger slipped an arm around his back and tipped a hand above his glass, curled fingers dangling above the salted rim.

Green eyes blocked Ashton's view and he felt his heart stop as they pinned him against a wall of bodies dancing to a bass boosted pop song. He was taller, stronger, red rimmed eyes and a stubble that was a little more than just overgrown. He was smiling, a kind grin but it still itched away at Ashton's nerves.

"You're in a rush. Why don't we have a drink and soothe your nerves?" He pointed out but Ashton shook his head.

"No. I'm not interested. I'm here with someone." He forced a smile before trying to duck beneath him.

"Are you though?" He pushed. "What's one drink? My treat."

Ashton shook his head and then tried peering around him to see if Luke was still there, and by chance he was. He was there still conversing with the man, who's left hand grazed his jaw with bronze fingers and right hand held a his glass to his lips.

"I said, no." He repeated and then looked at the man. He pushed past him, his elbow jabbing into his side roughly before he bolted away.

"Luke!" He called and the two turned to face him, and he slowed his steps as he approached his boyfriend. "Babe..."

Luke seemed surprised to find him and Ashton looked at the unknown man sharply, eyes dangerous as he held a drink out for his boyfriend to take. "Can you leave?"

"We were having a good time, weren't we, Lance?"

Luke stood up awkwardly and stumbled into Ashton's body, clutching on to him tightly. "It's Luke, and I told you I have a boyfriend." He hiccuped and the drummer held him tightly as the man rolled his eyes.

"Doesn't sound like you do if he walked out after a fight." He clicked his tongue as fire danced behind his eyes. "Come, doll, I can make you happy. Didn't you enjoy our chat?"

"He has a boyfriend." Ashton spit as he helped the younger blond stand in his tipsy state. "Let go of him."

"Why can't we share, mate?" He mocked his accent with a teasing chuckle. "I don't mind."

Ashton clenched his jaw, and he pulled Luke away from the man only to have him hold on tighter and pull back. "Why so rude?"

"I'll give you three seconds to let go of him." He warned right after he heard Luke's quiet whimper of pain at his grip.

"Or what?"

"Ash, it hurts." He heard Luke say and Ashton grabbed the man's wrist before squeezing it tightly, fingers digging into his bone and nails threatening to break skin.

The man's demeanor broke, and his body vent with the pain as he let go of Luke's wrist. Ashton leaned forward, grabbing him by the back of his neck to whisper, "You're lucky my boyfriend is here. He saved you a trip to the doctor's."

He pushed him away and then tucked a protective arm around Luke's waist. "Babe, we're going home. Come on, I got you."

"You won't leave again, will you?" He asked and Ashton shook his head.

"No, I'm not going anywhere anymore. I got you." He promised him as they took the back exit to avoid pushing past people.