chapter twenty-one

Ashton sat in front of his livestream, a piano in front of him as as he began pushing down the keys to a song he was obsessed with that day. He hummed the lyrics to himself gently, putting himself in the mood to be on camera and performing after having such a good time being away from lenses and the eyes of the world. Between Luke's fascination with polaroids, his friends' need to document every moment on Instagram, and photoshoots with his band, he has grown used yet annoyed of being in the spotlight while on his break. Minus Luke, he can take all the photos he wants if Ashton can do the same to him.

But here he was, his phone pointed at him as thousands of comments flooded the screen of his iPhone. He didn't know what else to do considering he didn't want to bug his friends when he felt so distant from them, and he didn't think watching television would be good for him since it's all he does anymore. Luke was gone at the store to pick groceries up so he could make something for dinner, so it wasn't like he could grab him and ho somewhere.

He cleared his throat and then looked down at his hands, eyes running over each ivory key as they danced along them, occasionally crossing over the black keys as well. His bones stretched and rolled beneath his hand as he played, keeping his attention from the phone to his music, the way it should always be yet hasn't been for awhile.

"And if it all goes crashing into the sea," he sang loudly. "- if it's just you and me trying to find the light, like  -"

He heard his front door open and he looked up immediately, his head turning to see who it was. Very few people had keys to his house, and the newest member of that club walked in with a paper bag in his arms and a new shade of glitter and gloss on his nails. A smile tugged on Ashton's lips without him noticing, and the blond sighed as he ran a hand through his curly hair.

"Traffic was so bad today. It's like everyone and their moms were at the supermarket. I almost fought a pregnant woman for the last couple of tomatoes." Luke complained and Ashton laughed. "It's not funny!"

"You shouldn't hit women." He commented, his fingers still playing the keys on his piano. "Especially when they're pregnant."

"I wasn't! But I needed these tomatoes. So I bought her off." He waved his hand dismissively as he approached him. "Fifty well spent considering dinner is gonna be -"

Luke didn't finish his sentence because he placed a hand on the small of Ashton's back and then pressed a kiss against his lips after her tilted his head up. He accidentally pressed the wrong keys, a disturbing dissonance ringing through the air, but he didn't care because Luke was his focus now. Who cared about some half assed cover of a song his fans probably didn't even know?

"- delicious." He finished and Ashton glanced at the camera before looking at his boyfriend. "Anyways, are you practicing? You're already so good, what gives? Warming up to serenade me after we eat?"

The drummer shrugged as he ran his tongue over his dry lips. "I'm live on Instagram... doing a cover... but now I'm not so sure. Buy when was I gonna serenade you?"

"Tonight because I had a bad day today." Luke pouted and Ashton rolled his eyes. "But, you're live right now? Like now?"

"Yes."

Luke rose an eyebrow and then covered his mouth as he quickly faced Ashton's phone, eyes almost as wide as saucers as he saw comments one after another. "I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"No, it's okay." Ashton admitted and Luke slowly stepped out of the frame as Ashton reached out to help him carry a bag. "I needed that."

"The kiss or-"

Ashton shrugged as he pulled a brown bag to his chest, momentarily forgetting they were being recorded. "Just you."

"Can't be away from me now?" Luke asked as he handed Ashton his wallet back. "Also can't be away from the crowd, can you?"

"What can I say? I love being watched." Ashton chuckled as he reached for his phone, immediately fumbling around to end the video. He didn't wave, or smile, it even glance at the camera. It didn't matter anymore now that he could occupy himself with something else, like his chef of a boyfriend.

"Do you now?"

"Mm." He hummed and they headed towards the kitchen. "What are we cooking?"

"We?" Luke gasped. "You burned scrambled eggs once. You can watch, how about that?"

Ashton rolled his eyes as he set the bag down, immediately wrapping his arms around Luke and setting his chin on his shoulder. He was on the tips of his toes to reach, but he didn't mind as Luke leaned against him as well.

"You can teach me." The drummer offered and Luke turned to look at him. "Or... if you're feeling frisky -"

"- Ash -"

"- you can stay for dinner every night." He offered and Luke didn't seem to process what he was asking as he pulled the food from the bags.

"I do. I don't think I remember what my apartment even looks like, I've been away for so long." He chuckled as he shook his head. "My roommate must be having the time of his life."

Ashton huffed, pulling away from the blond and turning him so they were facing each other. Luke furrowed his eyebrows and Ashton shoved his hands into the pockets of his shorts as he shrugged his shoulders awkwardly. He's never asked someone this before, and as much as he felt out of his comfort zone by confronting the situation, he knew he had to clear the air between them.

"Yeah, you've been here for awhile. You have a spare key." Ashton explained, trying to hint at what he wanted to ask. "Why don't you stay?"

"You mean like... move in?" He asked.

Ashton let out a breath of relief.

"Yes, that's exactly what I mean." He nodded and Luke looked around. "You don't need yo answer right now, or even tomorrow, it even in a week, just think about it. You're always here anyways, might as well save yourself the trouble of crossing town for your things, you know?"

"I'll think about it."

Ashton hoped it would be a yes, but Luke seemed strained on an answer. Was it too soon? Was it too big of a jump?

God, Ashton thought to himself, you're a fucking idiot.