Chapter 32

Tobias:

The plane finally lands at 5:36PM. A few minutes later than our estimated time, but good enough.

I'll admit it, the overall flight wasn't so bad. I could barely tell we were in the air. The weightlessness feeling seemed to decrease the longer we were in the air. It was only until we started to land did I cringe. I dared myself to look our the window upon our descent, and was shocked at the new perspective.

I had wanted to look away, but it was like I was petrified with fear. Tris's voice asking me if I was alright was the only thing that pried me away from the window. I returned my gaze to the headrest in front of me, and waited patiently for my ears to pop.

Now we're finally on the ground, in Hawaii, and I'm with my beautiful wife on our perfect honeymoon. I simply could not be happier.

I step out into the aisle and motion for Tris to walk out in front of me. She does, and I follow her out.

We collect our bags from baggage claim and then head out the double doors to find a cab to take us to our hotel.

The airport is right along the coast of the island. I can feel the fresh ocean breeze blowing on my face, encasing me in a lush island paradise. I can hear the laughter if children from off in the distance, running through the waves and playing in the sand. And I can see the clear, blue sky. Very different than Chicago. The clouds back home were always gray and carried rain.

I wave over the first taxi I see, and it pulls over to meet is by the curb. I tell Tris to climb inside, and I go around back and load our suitcases into the trunk. Then I meet Tris in the backseat.

The driver pulls out of the airport parking lot. "Where to?" he asks. He speaks with a corse voice, with a hint of a southern accent. He wears a casual t-shirt and old jeans with rips and holes. He appears to be no older than forty, maybe somewhere in his mid-thirties, but his old scrubs show that he isn't a big fan of modern day appliances and such.

I reach into my pocket and hand him a slip of paper I printed off with the hotel's address on it. He brings it closer to his eyes, then raises his eyebrows. "Is there a problem?" I ask.

"Not necessarily a problem," he says. "This is just a little bit out of my comfort zone, but if the price is right, I can get ya'll there in twenty some minutes.

I reach into my pocket again and pull out my wallet. "How much do you want?" I ask. Tris nervously tightens her grip on my arm. I'm not sure why she's so nervous, but I guess that's just how girls are.

"Thirty," he says. "I'll be a lil' bit generous since both of you seem to be on a date or somethin'"

I grab a twenty and two fives out of my wallet and toss it over the front seat. "That enough?" I ask.

"Yeah, yeah, that's fine," he says, counting the bills. He discards the money into the glove compartment, then revs the engine and takes off.

Before I know it, we're flying down the highway, and at the speed we're going, I almost feel...weightless. Like I'm flying across the interstate. And it doesn't scare me anymore.

***

"Alright you two, this here's your stop," says the cab driver, pulling up to the hotel parking lot. He stops at the revolving doors and waits for us to climb out. Tris had fallen asleep on my shoulder about five minutes in. I guess she was tired after being in the air half the day. I gently nuzzle her shoulder until her eyelids flicker awake.

"We're here," I say, gently rubbing her arm.

She stifles a moan and stretches her arms. "Already?"

"Yes," I say. "I'm going to check us in and then I'll come back for you and the bags. Okay?"

"Okay," she mumbles.

I push open the cab's door, them step outside, enveloping myself in the cool, tropical, air. I make my way to the hotel's double doors and push them open. The room I walk into is most likely the lobby, and very classy. The front desk is a few years away from the entrance, rather close to the sitting area. A peaceful-looking part of the room with a holographic television, very common in this part of the world, three full length couches, and four comfortable looking chairs of the same style as the couch. There is also a breakfast bar in a closed off section with dining tables and chairs. I will have to remember to stop by there in the morning.

I approach the front desk and am greeted by a young man who looks to be about the same age as myself. "Hello, sir," he says. "How may I be of service to you?"

"I have a reservation for Tobias and Tris Eaton," I say. "I believe it's in the honeymoon suite."

I smile to myself. Tris had said earlier that she didn't want to pay a whole lot of money on the room. She said something about how she was more interested in the person in the room whether than the room itself. But I knew that once she actually saw the room, she would love it.

"Ah, yes," he says. He turns to face a wall where key cards are hung on small wooden pegs. He grabs one fairly close to the top and turns around to face me again. "Here you are, Mr. Eaton, the honeymoon suite. It is room 812. I hope it is to your liking. You can find a pamphlet on the desk with our designated meal schedules. We offer high class catering for Breakfast that, if I do say so myself, is quite enjoyable. Also in that pamphlet is everything you need to know about our wonderful hotel." He smiles at me, something that looks like it had been rehearsed dozens of times. "Once again, I hope everything is perfect and that the two of you have a great time!"

"Thank you, I'm sure we will."