Chapter 7

Tris:

I have to admit, I was a bit excited when Tobias mentioned that we were going to be sharing an apartment. But part of me wonders if we're going too far. Guess we'll have to find out.

Tobias pushes open the door to apartment 316, my apartment, our apartment. "SURPRISE!" I smile, seeing almost everyone I know in front of me. Christina, Cara, Caleb, Peter, Amar, Shauna, Zeke........ and Uriah.

But, how is Uriah here? Isn't he supposed to be dead? He was too close to an explosion and went into a coma? How did he wake up?

Christina walks up to me first and pulls me into her arms. "Happy Birthday Tris," she says.

"Thanks," I say.

"Oh, um, I should probably tell you about Uriah now," she says.

"Good news," he says, "I'm alive!" He smiles at me jokingly, looking at me like I should be laughing too, but instead I stare at him, my eyes wide open.

"How?" I ask.

"Well, it's kind of a long story," he says.

"I got time," I say. "Nobody to run from at the moment. I'm all yours."

"Okay," he starts, "so I was aware when I was under. It was almost like the simulations. I know and hear what's going on, but I can't control it. I know it's kinda crazy, but that's the best way I can describe it."

"No, it's okay," I say. "I understand."

"They were about to unplug me. Zeke, Christina, and my mom were in the room with me, and some doctor who I barely know."

"The doctor had his hand on the cord that connected Uriah to the monitor keeping him alive," says Christina. "But then, I saw him move. He twitched his leg and I knew he was alive."

"She told the doctor to stop," says Uriah, "and he listened. He put his finger on my temple, to check my pulse I assume, and then told everyone that I was alive."

I stare at them both. Christina just saved Uriah. Does she like him? Does he like her? Is this the start of something big?

She looks at him, but talks to me. "We let him stay there for a minute, or more." She smiles. "It was actually more like thirty minutes. Everyone else was wandering around the room or watching television, but I stayed with him. I wanted to be the first one to see his eyes open again. And when they did, something came over me, and I kissed him."

I was right.

They both smile at each other, probably forgetting that the rest of us are here.

"So let me get this straight," Tobias interrupts. "You guys are dating now?"

"Yeah," says Uriah. "We never realized our feelings for each other until that moment. It's hard to believe that we didn't know for so long."

"Ahhhhhhh," Christina sighs. "Well, today is about you, Tris." She's talking to me now. "What do you want to do? Anything."

I think for a minute. We never had birthday parties in Abnegation. We thought that they were a way to make people pay attention to you, and therefore, against our beliefs. But there was only one thing I really want.

"I think we should rest," I say. "It's been a crazy year, and there's some things we need to catch up on."