Chapter 17

Tobias:

I'm actually really excited to tell everyone about our engagement. At this point, I really don't care if it makes me sound like a girl. All I really wanted was to be with her forever, and that's exactly what I got. I was a little nervous at first, but after she finally said yes, a huge burden was lifted off my shoulders. Everything is going so peacefully right now, something bad is probably going to happen within the next couple of days. But I'm just going to enjoy the moment that I'm in right now.

I decided to make spaghetti and meatballs for lunch. After Tris finished texting everyone, she started to make a salad. We started to set the table, but quickly decided that we didn't have enough room for everyone. Our guests will be dining on tray tables in the living room.

Shorty after I finish making the sauce, there is a knock at our door. "I'll get it!" Tris yells to me. I put the pan with the sauce in it on the counter and stand behind Tris. She pulls open the door, and everyone's there at once.

Zeke walks in first and gives me a tight hug. "Sup, bro," he says. "Nice place."

"Thanks, man," I say back.

Following Zeke are Uriah, Cara, Lauren, Shauna, Amar, Lynn, and lastly, Christina. She gives Tris a big hug and then asks to speak to her in private.

She looks to me, asking me the question with her eyes. "Go ahead," I say. "I'll get out the tray tables." Tris smiles back at me, and then is helplessly dragged away into another room by Christina. I smile at her, and then turn to go set up our lunch.

After a couple minutes, most everyone has gotten their plates and was sitting down in the living room. All except Tris and Christina. They eventually returned. Tris was looking down at her feet and smiling, obviously embarrassed about something. I have a pretty solid idea of what it could be as soon as Christina skips out right behind Tris with a huge grin plastered on her face. She looks at me and winks. Very subtle.

Tris returns to my side and I help her fix a plate. "She knows," I say, as a statement, not a question.

"Yeah," she says. "She saw my ring when she walked in, and it's hard to keep things a secret from her."

I laugh a little. "That is true...."

She smiles back up at me, and we walk into the living room together.

***

Lunch was amazing! I usually wouldn't be so modest, being from Abnegation and all, but it really was. And everyone else thought so too. Now it's time to break the news to everyone.

"So, you don't usually just throw parties," says Zeke with a mouthful of spaghetti. "There's usually a reason. What's yours?"

Tris and I look at each other. "Do you want to tell them?" she asks.

"No, it's okay. You can."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. Just tell them that-"

"For crying out loud!" Uriah interrupts. "Will one of you just tell us!"

The whole room erupts into laughter. Tris nods and begins to tell them. "Well, Tobias and I have some pretty big news, and we wanted all of you to be here when we told you. You're all the first ones to know."

"You're not pregnant, are you?" asks Zeke, with a smirk.

We both stare at each other in shock. "No way!" I say. Again, we all start cracking up. "Are we?"

Tris laughs even harder, doubled over and clutching her stomach. "No, I'm not pregnant!"

"Then what is the news?" asks Cara.

"Tobias and I....are......... engaged!"

I can't hear anything after that. All voices come together and suddenly we're a mob. Christina is the first to react and runs up, hugging Tris, and then congratulates me. Zeke claps me on the back and whispers "Good luck." in my ear.

"Thanks," I say back to him.

We're all happy until one voice surpasses all the others. We all turn to see who it's coming from.

"You're what!?"