Chapter 25

Tris:

Tobias leads me out of the hotel, and out into the parking lot. He stops at a red car, probably from ten years ago, seeing how old it is. He opens the passenger door for me, and then climbs in the driver's seat.

"You can drive?" I ask.

"Yeah, sorta," he says. "I got a crash course from Matthew on how not to crash."

"Ahhh," I say. He starts up the engine and we speed away. "So where are we going?"

"You'll see," he says. "It's only about twenty more minutes."

We sit in silence for the rest of the ride. But it's nice. The quiet helps me think. When I see the fence, I know where we are. "Chicago?" I ask. "Why are we here?"

"Sentimental reasons," he says. I wonder if we're visiting his mom or dad. I still can't believe neither of them showed up to their own son's wedding. Did he even send them invitations?

We slowly cruise into the city, and park a couple yards away from the railroad tracks. "Get ready to jump," he tells me.

I nod. I climb out of the car, and quickly detach the train on my dress. It'll make jumping on the train and wherever we're going a whole lot easier.

The headlights appear in the distance, and we start running. Even though we haven't been here for more than five months, it still feels natural. He climbs on first, and swings himself in. I grab the bar on the side, and use it to pull myself up. He helps me the rest of the way, like old times.

One thing leads to another, and his lips are on mine.

***

"I hate to say it, but we have to jump now," he whispers in my ear. I pull away, and stand up. We both make our way to the train door. He wants to jump onto the building, then eventually the net into the pit. I bunch as much of my dress in my hands, and when he says "Go," I jump. I try to land as smoothly as I can, but I fall to my knees. It's not a very good idea to jump off of a moving train while wearing a long, white dress, and heels.

He helps me up, and then we walk to the edge of the building, hand in hand. "Do you want me to go first?" he asks. I nod as soon as the last word leaves his mouth. He smiles and then tells me, "I'll catch you."

He walks to the edge, and jumps, like he's done it a thousand times before. I, on the other hand, always get nervous when I have to jump. "C'mon down, Tris!" he calls from the bottom.

I climb on the ledge, bend my knees, and jump.

He was waiting for me on the ground. I crawl over to him, and he lifts me over, just like he did in initiation. We walk down the dark hallway, where I half expect someone to jump out and scare us.

"Are you meeting someone here?" I ask him.

"No," he says. "I thought we could just spend some time together in the place where it all began."

"Dauntless?"

"Somewhere in dauntless," he says with a smirk.

We walk onto the bridge over the chasm, when I realize what he meant when he said 'Where it all began.' The rock in the chasm, when he first told me he loved me. When I first told him I love him. When we kissed for the first time. It seems like ages ago, but it was only last year.

He helps me down, holding my elbow and guiding me along. We finally get to the rock, our rock, and he wraps me in his arms, kissing the top of my head. "I love you," he says.

"I love you too."

"I love you three."

"I love you Four."

"I know."

In that moment, I feel like I have everything I could ever want. In that moment, I feel perfect, whole, complete. I feel that there's nothing in the world that could even compare to right now.

I now know what my destiny is. To live forever in perfect happiness with Tobias. And to save the world. But he comes first. He has always come first.

And I wouldn't want it any other way.