Chapter 8

Tobias:

Surprisingly, Tris's party was some of the most fun I've had in months. Uriah was funny, as always, even after just coming back to life. Christina would laugh at everything he says, whether it be funny or not. It got a little annoying, but that's what you do when you're in love.

Zeke and Shauna were watching some sport called football on the television. It seems like it would be a dauntless game.

Cara and Caleb tried to talk to everyone, but they mostly just talked to each other about Erudite stuff. Even though we ditched the factions, it feels like we didn't.

Amar was a little bit of a social outcast. Mostly he just stood by the food table and ate everything. I tried to talk to him once in a while, but he made it pretty clear that he didn't wan to be here.

Peter spent his time in the kitchen admiring our butter knife collection. I hope he doesn't get any ideas. He left about half an hour after we got here, claiming that he wants to, in no way, "Spend anymore time in Stiffland." To be honest, it was a win-win for all of us.

And as for Tris and I, we spent most of our time on the couch watching the game, talking and kissing, but mostly talking. I could talk to her for hours without ever getting bored. Sometimes I feel that she is the same way, but other times, I feel like I bore her to death.

But no matter what we did, nothing could keep me distracted. I was anticipating tonight, more than I should, because I knew we would finally be alone.

***

After three hours of partying, everyone starts to leave until it's just me and Tris. "Thank you for everything," she tells me. "You really outdid yourself."

"Anything for the best." I close the distance between us, and press my lips to hers. My hands hold her to me, wrapping around her waist. "Have I ever told you that I love you?" I say against her lips.

"Not recently." She runs her hands through my hair.

"Alright," I whisper, "then I love you."