"What do you mean?" I had expected his help for what was waiting for me beyond the two golden doors.

"I mean I have company," he gestured to the sky behind him. For the first time, I noticed it was filled with other dragons and their riders. I should've of figured. You couldn't poke the hornet's nest, without expecting a couple of them to come out and try to sting you."

I clenched my teeth, "Son of a banshee!" I swore loudly, "John, do you think you can take them all on your own?"

John's blue eyes glowed, and he smiled, "Don't worry about me, I have the advantage of intimidation and size. They'll be too afraid even to get close enough to land a single good attack. Besides, some of my men are loyal to me above all else. They should arrive here shortly and help me fend off these guys," he gave me a thumbs up.

I nodded and turned towards the inside of the school. John had placed me just down the hall from Greta's office. "Thank you and good luck," I said climbing over a couple of loose stones in my path. I took a single deep breath, before taking off running down the long hall towards the two golden doors.

I was almost there when someone grabbed me by the back of my shirt and forced me up against the stone wall. I felt the cold metal of a blade being pressed up against my throat. I stared into two very determined, yet familiar brown eyes.

"Vivian," I breathed, and she lowered the blade, her eyes filling with instant recognition. Beyond her, I spotted Neeva, Violet's father, standing behind her looking very agitated. He was mumbling to himself in an ancient language, the likes of which I had never heard before.

Vivian noticed me looking at Neeva, "He's been like that since about an hour ago, he keeps saying something about the souls being in agony, whatever the heck that means?"

I nodded absently, "She's in here," I said to Vivian, pointing to the golden doors. I smiled to myself "Oh and I roughed up that ex- fiancé of yours," her expression soured at Hampton's mention, "He's still alive though, I saved the pleasure of his demise for you." Vivian's sour expression turned into a wicked smile.

"Thank you," she said, then turning towards the doors to Greta's office, "I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready to kick a certain  sixth element's users teeth in!"

"I'm more than ready," I replied.

Violet's POV

Fireflies danced around me in a field gray grass where a large tree with gnarled branches loomed over me, and the light of a full moon shifted through its branches. But these fireflies were different from the other fireflies I knew. These fireflies whispered to me. The told me of all the pain they had gone through, their hopes, their failures, and most importantly of their longing to return. To return to their side of limbo.

I felt their longing like it was my own.

"How can I help you?" I asked them. The only thing that mattered was helping them.

"Go to a place where magic and that woman can't reach you and without the pull of your magic we can return," a thousand voices answered in unison.

"The woman" I guessed was probably Greta, "I don't know a place like that," I said regretfully. There was no place on earth that didn't contained magic.

"But we know a place, follow us." All at once I was surrounded by a million firefly lights. I noticed that even with all this light surrounding me, I didn't cast a shadow on the gray earth. They tugged lightly at my hair, hands, and clothes and led me steadily forward. "We'll hold off the woman until you can reach the place," they whispered into my ear. "And right when your body enters through the portal, we will bring you to the other world."