Chapter Nineteen

They all waited outside the healing room while Eir and a few other healers assessed Haldane's injuries. Arlan sat in his chair, staring at the floor in front of him feeling absolutely empty. Erica had her arm wrapped around his shoulders, softly caressing his back.

    "He's going to be fine. Eir's got him." She spoke.

    "You don't get it."

    She furrowed her brow as Arlan sat back in his seat, shrugging off her arm.

    "We promised one another that we'd always have each other's back."

    Erica sighed as she lowered her head, understanding what he meant.

    "It wasn't your fault."

    "Yes, it was," Arlan snapped. "I could have thrown the stone away in time. I could have stopped it from happening."

    "It's okay. You can't blame yourself."

    "Really? Is that what you tell yourself about him taking mom?" He retorted.

    Although hurt by his words, Erica knew he didn't truly mean it. Off to the side, Loki knelt down as he took Elli's face in her hands, using his seidr to check for injuries.

    "You're alright. I've got you now. I would never have let that man hurt you." He told her.

    Elli sniffled before breaking down. Loki felt his heart ache as he took her in his arms, holding her as tightly as possible. He pressed a kiss to the top of her head as Thor and Brunhilde walked over to him. Loki got to his feet and panted softly as he ushered Elli to go be with her siblings. As they got closer to him, the two saw the harsh bruises beginning to appear around Loki's neck.

    "Are you sure you shouldn't have the healers checking on you?" Brunhilde inquired.

    "I'm fine," Loki replied hoarsely. "I'll go and be looked after once the children are all cleared."

    "What happened out there?" Thor asked softly.

    Loki turned his head to face them and they took in his bloodshot eyes and bruised skin.

    "I was supposed to die today."

    "What are you talking about?" Brunhilde scoffed.

    "Alice had mentioned to me that one of her visions had been about my death. I told her not to tell me how it happened so as not to challenge fate itself. I was supposed to die at the hands of Thanos. I could feel the life drain from my body and just as I was about to leave this realm... Alice made herself known and made a bargain with him. Our lives for hers."

    Brunhilde and Thor shared a glance before directing their attention back on Loki.

    "If you'll excuse me... I have to tend to my family."

    Just as he made his way over to his children, Eir and Tony stepped out of the room where Haldane was being treated. Arlan quickly stood up and waited with bated breath to know what had happened.

    "How is he?" Loki asked.

    "He's doing well. He's just woken up from his sedation. We haven't broken the news to him yet." Eir replied.

    "News?" Arlan interjected.

    Eir bit her lip as she tried to find a way to tell them all. She glanced up at Tony and he smiled, placing a hand on her shoulder. Tony cleared his throat and quickly looked over everyone's face as they waited for him to speak.