Chapter Seventeen

Ebony Maw, Proxima, Corvus and Cull all stood together, their weapons ready, as they stared down the others.

"Where is the big guy, hmm?" Tony inquired. "Doesn't want to get his hands dirty?"

"Thanos knows that he could easily destroy this island and all of you on it in a matter of seconds." Corvus snarled.

"He wants to have a little bit of fun with his meal before he digs in." Ebony Maw smirked.

"Go on ahead, then!" Thor shouted. "Dig in!"

Ebony Maw flicked his wrist and the Chitauri went charging at them. Thor, Brunhilde and Tony remained on the ground fighting them off as Haldane and Arlan took to the sky. Proxima thrust her weapon as Brunhilde. Brunhilde dodged the attack and swiped her staff across Proxima's face. As she went to thrust her staff downwards, Proxima brought her staff up over her face to deflect it. Proxima then kicked Brunhilde in the stomach. As she stumbled backwards, Proxima aimed her weapon and shot at Brunhilde. Brunhilde was thrown back into the group of soldiers. As she turned onto her back, she was quick to raise her staff over her face, thrusting it into a Chitauri's mouth. She then watched as the Chitauri's face exploded, having been shot at. Turning her head, she gave Tony a nod as he panted.

"Ugly sons of bitches." He commented.

Arlan and Haldane decided to go after Cull. Seeing that he was much larger than the rest and they were in the air, they used this to their advantage. The two boys fought back to back as one would aim at a Chitauri while the other shot at Cull, rotating between them. In his rage, Cull let out a roar as he began swinging his weapon in the sky, trying to hit them. Arlan narrowed his eyes and smirked, thinking of what to do. In a matter of seconds, several different clones of Arlan appeared in the sky, either using magic of the suit's powers to shoot at Cull.

"Hey, make some clones of me to fight on the ground!" Haldane shouted.

Arlan did as his brother suggested and several clones of Haldane scattered themselves among the soldiers to help fight and distract the Chitauri. Arlan and Haldane watched as Cull began trying to find the real versions. His clones would disappear in a cloud of green mist before Arlan would cast another clone. Growing agitated, Cull jumped into the air and swung his weapon around him, hitting as many clones as possible, hoping to get the real ones. Having been distracted with one of the Chitauri, Arlan let out a cry as Cull hit him. He began to hurtle towards the side of a building while all his clones disappeared. Haldane called out to him and went flying towards him. Just as he was about to reach him, he felt as though someone had taken hold of his ankle. He cried out as he was yanked backwards and landed on the ground, hitting his back. Ebony Maw smirked as he hovered above Haldane.

"Sometimes, a little separation can be a good thing."

Haldane went to attack him but felt himself being pushed into the ground. Ebony Maw clenched his fist as he manipulated the metal of the suit.

"What? No magic?"

Haldane groaned as he fought against Ebony Maw. He looked to the side and saw that one of the Chitauri had gone to raise their weapon. Angling his wrist upwards, Haldane sent off an energy blast in the Chitauri's direction. As it hit the weapon, an explosion went off, catching Ebony Maw and sending him flying. Haldane let out a gasp as he felt Ebony Maw's powers release him. He quickly got up off the ground and began making his way to Arlan, killing any Chitauri that came in his way.

Alice's eyes returned to normal as she looked over Loki and Erica's faces.

"He's here." She repeated.

"Where is he?" Erica asked.

"It's too late. He knew where we were. His children were sent as a distraction."