Chapter 26

I sat with my head in my hands, my legs out in front of me as I rubbed my eyes, a sharp pain shooting around my head.

"You alright?" I heard Ace ask, his hand resting on my back. I nodded my head and looked up to see we weren't on the ground. We were on the roof of a taller building, right where most of the tree tops were.

I swallowed as I fought the wave of nausea that hit me.

"Just give me a minute." I said rubbing my face again, trying to recuperate.

"You're fine, the guards just left. Best to let them get a little further away before going anyways." He said and I nodded.

After a few minutes, we stood up and I looked around. We were on a building at the back edge of the area, trees reaching up the back wall.

"How did you even get us up here?" I asked looking to the ladder that led to the ground. I looked to him and he just casually shrugged and turned to the ladder, keeping me in his peripheral vision.

"Ready?" I asked him, rubbing my hands together and he nodded, placing his hand on my lower back and nudging me over to the ladder.

"Wait until I'm at the bottom." He said and I nodded as he swung his legs over the edge and twisted, grabbing onto the rusted ladder. I kneeled on the ledge and watched as he climbed down. He left his left leg pretty much hanging and used mostly his arms and right leg to lower himself. His feet met the pavement below and he looked up to me.

I swung my legs over and grabbed onto the metal that immediately stung my hands from the cold. I pulled my hoodie sleeves down and gripped the metal through the fabric, turning around and carefully descending the ladder.

Aces hands found my hips as soon as I was low enough and he kept them there until my feet landed on solid ground. I rubbed my hands together and turned around to look at him.

My head snapped over when I heard the rumble of another car. Ace grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the edge of the building. I looked up to him with slightly wide eyes as he stared at the bricks above my head, listening carefully.

Thankfully, the vehicle passed, continuing down the road. I let out a small breath of air as I looked back up to him as he stepped back slightly.

"This might be a little harder than I thought." He said and a pit settled in my stomach.

"Let's get going before another comes along." I said and he nodded.

We pushed away from the building and continued moving, following the road but at a distance. Ace had memorized the turns we had to make before giving the map to the rest of the group.

My stomach flipped as I thought about them, hoping with all my heart that they were okay and hadn't been caught. My nerves multiplied by a thousand just not being able to see everybody, to make sure they were safe.

I felt Ace's hand slip into mine and I looked over to him. He looked down to me and gave me a look that I couldn't decipher.

"It will be okay, we've made it this far already, we can do this." He said and I nodded slowly, both of us turning to look forwards again as we made it through the dense trees.

His hand stayed in mine as we walked, making it the warmest part on my body, the icy wind numbing the rest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ace and I crouched down behind a large bush, peering through the bare spots at the clunky white vans that rumbled down the road, one after another.

"We need to get to the group of buildings down the road, if they see us here, the chances of us getting away aren't very high." Ace said quietly and I nodded.

"How are we going to get there? There's so many of them." I said and he bit the inside of his cheek as he thought.

"They're starting to get further apart." He said motioning to the road and I looked up to see the vans further apart than before.

"We'll wait for a little while, if they get far enough apart we can move when we're in between them." He said and I bit my lip.

"What if they don't slow enough?" I asked and he kept his eyes trained on the road.

"Then we figure something else out."