Chapter 2

The next morning I woke up to a knock on the door. I pried my eyes open and my heart immediately jumped up to my throat when I realized I wasn't at home. I quickly calmed when I remembered everything that had happened as I sat up and looked over to the door as Ace shot up to a sitting position in his own twin bed that almost seemed too small for his tall frame.

The door was pushed open, revealing a tall man who spoke in a deep almost robotic sounding voice.

"Breakfast starts in 20 minutes at 7:15. You are expected to be in the dining hall by then." Is all he said before shutting the door. I rubbed my eyes and let out a quiet yawn as I tried to wake myself up a little. I looked up and studied the room, being able to see it better now that sunlight was trickling through the small window to the right of my bed.

2 twin beds were pressed up against the wall, a nightstand sitting to the side of each. I was in the bed that was furthest from the door next to the medium sized window that looked down and out to a sea of dense trees. From what I saw, all of the rooms were on the second floor and there was at least one or two floors above us.

Straight ahead from my bed was a bathroom with a shower pressed up against the right wall and a toilet and sink along the left.

Across from Ace's bed were two sliding doors with tall mirrors on the front. They pushed aside to reveal a small closet that had a bar along the top to hang clothes and drawers filling the bottom.

The only source of light in the room at nighttime were 2 small lamps. One sat on my nightstand and one sat on Ace's. Ace also had a black alarm clock with red numbers on his nightstand.

Ace swung his legs to the side and started fiddling with something on the ground. I silently stood up and ducked into the bathroom. I did my business and splashed some water on my face, patting it dry with a hand towel I found under the sink. I was still wearing my white tank top and black leggings from yesterday since I didn't have anything to change into yet, my bags containing my clothes still nowhere in sight.

The night before, when we got to the facility, we were directed to our room and instructed to not leave until somebody came in the morning. Even though I was dead tired, it took me a little while to fall asleep as my mind ran wild wondering what was to come. Overthinking was quite common for me and that mixed with sleeping 4 feet away from a stranger, didn't really mix. It probably would have been fine if I couldn't hear the boy breathing and shifting occasionally.

I smoothed my shirt down before unlocking and opening the door, stepping out into the room. Ace was standing up and digging around in his backpack, he briefly glanced up to me but went back to whatever he was doing.

I sat down on my bed, pulling my small backpack to me and unzipping it before I started to dig through to find my hairbrush. I pulled it out right as Ace had ducked into the bathroom. I glanced up at the small clock that sat high up on the wall in between the closet and bathroom door to see we still have about 10 minutes left before we had to be down in the 'dining hall'.

I slipped my tennis shoes on and walked over to the mirror, running the brush through my hair, trying to tame my bed head.

A few minutes later, Ace exited the bathroom and did something in his backpack before making his way to the door and looking to me. I gave him a small smile as I made my way over. He pulled open the door and stepped out, me trailing behind him.

"Good morning to you too." I chirped as I shut the door and followed him as he made his way down the hall.

He just glanced at me before continuing walking, not saying a word.