Chapter 24

"I'll call for backup right away, why don't you guys wait in here." The officer said quickly, guiding us through a door.

Camilla had quickly explained the situation and the man, who had a large sheriff's star pinned to his chest seemed eager to help but that didn't calm the uneasy feeling in my stomach.

We shuffled past the door into a large room that had several desks along the wall to the right and a large window to the left.

The sheriff shut the door behind us but as the rest of the group shared words of relief, I stared at the door knob, a sinking feeling in my chest. I slowly looked up, my eyes meeting Ace's. He held my gaze for a second before looking down to the knob. He slowly stepped forward, his fingers reaching out and grasping the cool metal. I saw him try to twist it but it wouldn't budge.

Locked.

Dread filled my stomach as I looked up to him.

"He's with them." I said and the group looked to me confused.

"What?" Logan asked and I looked up to him.

"We need to get out of here, we're locked in." I said spinning around, looking for anything that could help us.

"Grab the map there and get into the corner." Ace hurriedly said and I spun to the desk, grabbing the big map that laid upon it and hurrying everyone to the corner as Ace picked up a large trophy from a shelf.

"Turn away." Ace said, standing with his back to the wall by the window and preparing to break the glass, blocking his face with his arm and wrapping his hand around the base of the trophy. I turned right as his arm swung back, shattering the glass, sending thousands of pieces in all directions.

"Go!" he yelled and I turned around, rushing to the window. Everyone quickly exited, careful of their hand placement, trying to not cut themselves. I jumped out the window, thankful that it was low to the ground and turned back to Ace right as the sheriff busted through the door.

The man lunged forward, his arms stretched out to grab the boy but Ace jumped out the window, just barely escaping. Ace landed on the ground, stumbling forward into me but quickly regaining his footing, and once again, we were running through the night.

After we were far enough down the road, we dipped to the side into the forest, hiding behind a large group of dead bushes to see where we were.

I sprawled out the map on the ground, Ace coming up and kneeling behind me. He stared at it for a minute before his hand reached out and pointed to a certain spot on the map.

"There. That's where we are." He said and I squinted at the paper, struggling to see in the dark forest.

"Ace!" I gasped, pulling his hand up and examining it, several tiny cuts spread across the top of his hand, blood slowly drying around them.

"I'm alright." He said, gently pulling his hand back and I looked up to him with worried eyes.

"I'm fine Charlotte. Just a few cuts, I've had worse." He said and I bit my lip, nodding slightly.

"Here, look." He said, directing my attention back to the map, his finger trailing down the road that we were next to.

"If we go this way then It looks like it leads to the start of a city, his finger making it to the edge of the paper.

"If we hurry then we might be able to make it there by the time the sun sets tomorrow." I said and he nodded.

"Let's go then, if we keep moving we will stay warmer." He said, pushing on his knee and standing up with a wince, rubbing his leg.

"Does it hurt?" I asked as the rest of the group stood up. He hesitated for a second before responding.

"Just not used to all of this." He said and I nodded.

"We'll be done with it soon." I said and his eyes met mine. He held my gaze for a second before turning to the group.

"Alright, let's go."