Chapter 23

We walked for hours, faces numb and legs tired but we didn't stop until the sun rose up above us, until we found an old abandoned gas station.

"Over here!" Logan called and we all made our way around to the side of the building where he was.

My eyes landed on an already broken window and I smiled at him. It wasn't huge but it was big enough to get us in.

"Here, we'll put a blanket down so we don't cut ourselves." I said motioning for Ace to turn around so I could grab the blanket out of his backpack. He spun around and I unzipped the biggest Zipper, pulling the white blanket out and zipping it back up. The bottom of the window was about to my chest.

I tossed the blanket up so it covered the sharp shards of glass at the bottom and spun around to the group.

"You're first Camilla." I said and she nodded, stepping forward. Henry followed and felt along the wall until he found the window sill.

Logan walked over and put his hands on her hips as she put hers on the window sill.

"On three." He said before counting down and lifting her up so she could swing her leg over. She hopped down and then Logan helped Callie over.

Henry was next, then Logan. Which left just Ace and I still outside in the cold air.

"You're up." Ace said and I nodded, grabbing onto the sill with numb hands. He placed his hands on my hips and effortlessly lifted me up. I swung my leg over and steadied myself.

"Little help Henry." I said and he reached his arms up. I guided them to under my arms and he carefully lifted me down.

"Thanks." I said to him before turning back to the window as Ace lifted himself up. I grabbed his hand and helped him over. He jumped down and hit the ground with a small thud. I turned around and looked to the room we were in. It was pretty empty, just a few boxes laying around. It looked like we were in a backroom type thing. There was an old wooden door that I guessed led to the front of the store.

I turned back to the window as Ace pulled the blanket down and dusted it off.

"We can stay here for a while to warm up and get some rest." He said and I nodded, rubbing my ice-cold hands together.

"Come on." He said to me as we walked over to the wall. He took his backpack off and I did the same, wrapping my arms around myself.

The other two pairs started to get their blankets out as Ace and I sat down next to each other against the wall. He flicked the blanket up and pulled it over us as the rest of the group settled in.

I rubbed my hands together and pulled my sleeves further down. Ace's hands came over to mine and enclosed my hands. Even though his hands weren't exactly warm, they were much warmer than mine.

The group started to talk quietly as I just leaned my head against Ace's shoulder and shut my eyes.

I guess I drifted off because when I awoke to frantic voices, the sun was already setting. I sat up quickly and looked around.

"Be quiet." Ace said, pulling the blanket off us and stuffing it in his bag.

"We need to go, now." He whispered and that's when I heard the faint voices coming from outside at the front of the building.

I quickly stood up, Logan already throwing his blanket over the window and lifting Callie out. Camilla went next, then Logan hoisted himself up.

I helped Henry out the window as I heard a chain drop to the ground, the chain that was holding the front door shut. I looked back with wide eyes, grabbing my bag off the ground but freezing as I heard two sets of footsteps approaching the door.

Right as somebody tried to open the door, I jumped forward and slammed it, pushing on it as hard as I could.

"Go!" I yelled to Ace and he jumped up into the window, swinging his legs over and then holding out his hand to me.

"Come on!" he yelled and I pushed off the door, reaching the window in two big steps and jumping up, grabbing his hand as the men busted through the doors. Ace pulled me out, grabbing the blanket at the same time.

As soon as my feet hit the ground, we took off running towards the group that was already 20 yards ahead. I heard yells behind us as we dipped into the forest, full of adrenalin as we slipped around trees, running as fast as we could.

Darkness took over the skies as we slowed to a walk, out of breath with the cold slowly seeping through our clothes to our skin again.

We followed the direction of the road, staying far enough away that it was just barely visible.

An hour of walking later, the dirt road turned into pavement and eventually, we saw a building, a small café. The lights were off and nobody was there but it wasn't abandoned, we continued walking, passing a large hill and when we got to the other side, hope fluttered in my chest.

A small town sat off in the distance, buildings sprinkled alongside the road. I shared a hopeful look with Callie before we continued walking, legs sore from our journey.

We walked down the street, looking to the buildings, the lights shut off in every one of them.

Well, everyone except the one we needed. The sheriff's office.

We pushed past the doors and I spotted a man sitting at a desk in the back of the large room. He turned around and looked to us, a look of confusion on his face as his eyes grazed over the 6 teenagers standing before him.

"We need your help."