Thirteen

"Where the hell have you been?" Isaac hounds me at the door. 

"I actually grabbed some food with someone and ate dinner at their house," I say.

"Who was it? It sounds like they need to fix their exhaust." He comments. Mom and dad are waiting patiently to question me.

"It's a bike," I whisper while looking at the floor.

"A bike doesn't sound like that." Isaac looks confused.

"A motorcycle does." Mom gasps behind me.

"Why were you on a bike with someone?" My father questions.

"I actually drove it." I wince as I say it.

"Those are dangerous, baby." My mom touches my shoulder and looks me over for any marks of pain. I practically suck my neck into my body.

"Who's motorcycle? I only know of one person who drives one." Isaac glares.

"Don't freak out."

"Don't tell me..." He pales.

"He was helping me, Isaac." 

"I told you to stay away from him." He spits.

"Who?" Mother interjects.

"You can't just boss me around!" I shout.

"I'm trying to protect you!"

"I don't need your protection. I'm perfectly capable!" 

"Really? Did you ever find out who you slept with then?" He sneers.

"Yes, actually."

"Who?"

"Shawn Mendes. And I did it again tonight." I smirk. Mom and dad's mouth fall open and Isaac stops all movement. He loses his anger with the color from his face.

"Haley, you have to be joking." Isaac insists.

"I'm not. And I am about tired of your shit. Shawn has been good to me. He even got me to eat today. What did he do that was so bad to you?" I ask him.

"He has tattoos and he drives a motorcycle and he is dirty and below us. Is that not enough? You hated him too before all of this. Now you are poisoned with him." Isaac spits.

"You think I'm poisoned now?" I glare. "I hope you all get infected then. I hope you know every time I am with him that I am poisoned and just being in my presence could be contagious." 

"Fuck you." 

"Isaac!" Mom yells at him. My father looks uncomfortable at the whole situation. We did drop a bombshell on them. Isaac looks at all of us before storming off to his room.

"Shawn Mendes?" My father asks suddenly. "Wasn't that the boy in the principal's office when we had to come to get you all because of the fight?"

"Yeah." 

"Did he really get you to eat? This isn't just a lie?" Mom looks at me hopefully. 

"He really did. I had a cheeseburger and a milkshake and then waffles at his house. He is special. He was with me when Brett cheated and he helped me when he messed up my clothes and yeah, I did do things with him including change in front of him but this has been building up for years. We as a group have hated him since kindergarten but he never did anything wrong. His tattoos are meaningful and he is kind and loyal and I have always been drawn to him. I don't understand why everyone hates him so much." I sigh, falling onto the couch.

"Now you are in love, honey. I can see that you are." My mother smiles softly.

"He better not hurt you." My dad demands.